She took a deep breath, calming herself.  “I told them all about you falling off that cliff and how that might have caused something, but everything they do, again, comes out negative.  You don’t have any brain damage, though you do have a fracture in your skull.”

I sat back, shocked at what she was saying.  How could I be like that if I had done everything the shadow told me to do and after it reassured me that I was going to be okay?  Nothing was making sense. 

I was about to ask Remy something else, but then she started to fade away.

“Wait!  Don’t go yet!  I need you here,” I said, close to panic.

“It’s okay,” she said.  “I’ll come back as soon as I can.  I think someone’s trying to wake me up.”

“Please, just come back soon,” I said. 

“I will,” she said, and then she was gone.

I had to see why she had to wake up, so I went to the hospital. 

Remy was lying in a hospital bed just like I’d seen myself do so many times in my dreams.  But this had actually happened.  She only had an IV in her and a couple places where they’d cleaned her cuts. 

Remy was just starting to open her eyes.  And when she did, she immediately started crying, which I would have also.  That was because Mom and Dad were sitting there, looking down at her. 

“Hey, sweetie,” Dad said, just staring at her. 

“Hi, Daddy,” she said, sounding choked up as tears rolled down her face. 

Remy suddenly leaned up and wrapped her arms around his neck.  He held her tightly.  Mom was looking at them with tears rolling down her face also.  And when Remy leaned away from Dad and looked over at her. 

“You don’t know…”  Mom was choked up and couldn’t finish what she was going to say.  She just looked at Remy for a moment before she sobbed and leaned forward to give her a hug. 

“I’m okay,” Remy said.  She took a deep breath and it hitched. 

“You’ve got three broken ribs,” Mom said, her arms still around her.  “But other than that and a few cuts and a little dehydration, you’re perfectly fine.”

“I know I’m fine and they’ve already told me I’ve got broken ribs.  I kind of knew that after the crash,” Remy said, leaned away from her.  “But what about Reagan?  She…”

Dad took Mom’s hand as she closed her eyes and sat down between him and Remy.

“Your sister…” Dad started in a tone that Remy knew meant that something was wrong.

“No,” Remy said.  “She’s going to be okay.  I mean…she is okay right?  Did she…?” 

“She’s in the next room over,” Dad said.  “Will and his parents are in there with her right now.”

“I want to see her,” Remy said, her hand going for her IV.

Dad stopped her, though, grabbing her hand.  “No, Remy,” he said.  “They’re going to be discharging you here in a little while, and then you can go see her.  But we’ve got to warn you….”

“What’s wrong?” Remy whispered.

Mom took a deep breath, trying to steady herself.  “They had to put in a breathing tube because she was having trouble breathing on her own,” she said.

“She’s going to be okay, though, right?  Please tell me she’s going to be alright,” she whispered.

“Sweetly,” she said, putting a hand on her hair.  “I’m sorry, but it’s not looking good.”