thirty-three

Chase nearly forgot about the burning sensation festering in his chest after he saw Cutter's body tumble into the abyss. All the air left his lungs. He was stunned. He didn't even like Cutter, but the man didn't deserve to be killed like that. 

Everyone else seemed to be rooted to their spots, paralyzed by Kane's heinous display of strength. The man dropped his hands, a malevolent grin on his thin lips.

Chase had no idea how Kane did what he just did, but he didn't have time to question it. He did know he needed to be taken out before it happened to someone else. With an ability like that, they man would be virtually invincible.

Someone had to take him out before it was too late.

His chest muscles protested as he rose from the ground. Part of the black mesh material of his suit had burned away, including the blue one stitched into it. He could thank Apex for that. Luckily, his skin hadn't been damaged. It still hurt like hell, though.

His throat constricted as he stared at the ravine. Snow continued to fall down, the faint smell of gunpowder and blood filling the cold air. He choked back a sob. He wanted to mourn. He wanted to exact his revenge on Kismet for the deaths of all the Atlas agents and others killed by them.

But now was no time to let his emotions get the better of him. There would be time for grieving later.

Chase held his arm out, willing his sword to come to him. The blade gravitated to his palm, his fingers wrapping around the hilt. His jaw clenched as he stared at Kane, who remained in the middle of the room with that smug smirk on his face.

The smile made his blood boil. He had no remorse, no guilt. In fact, he seemed pleased with himself. How could someone be so sinister? He didn't understand, nor did he want to. Scowling, he stepped forward, tightening his grip on his weapon. He was going to make the man pay—for everything.

''Kane!'' Chase's voice boomed around the large cavern of a room. ''This ends now.''

Kane howled in laughter and held his arms out, his palms upturned. ''We've only begun, boy.''

After activating his holo-shield, Chase detached the blue disk from its holder and prepared to throw it. Apex materialized before him in a cloud of crimson and ombre. His eyes glinted like a feral wolf's.

''You thought we were done?'' he mused. Before the blond could move, Apex kicked him in the chest. Coughing, he staggered backward.

As soon as Apex attacked him, the fighting in the room resumed. Oscar took on Frost, Andre and Lycan continued hammering away at each other, Emily and Theo confronted Kane, and everyone else fought off the remaining mercenaries.

Steadying himself, he glared at Apex—who was walking at him. A faint aura swirled around his crimson blade.

Chase's brow furrowed.

''Kane isn't the only one with new tricks,'' Apex spat.

He swung his sword at the boy, a low hum slicing through the air. Chase raised his shield, just in time to block the strike. Sparks flew from the solid hologram. Pushing up, he forced his opponent a few feet back.

Apex snarled. He closed the distance between them before unleashing a flurry of heavy downward slashes. Chase fended them off with ease; while Apex might've been a capable swordsman, his strength didn't match Sentinel's—though, the boy was trying his best to steer clear of the glowing blade.

Seeing as how his skin handled the man's energy blasts in the past, he figured letting the charged sword touch him wouldn't do him much good. Over time, he learned he wasn't as durable as he once thought.