17 | Adam's Song

THAT night, Jessica landed on her balcony

The remainder of what happened still, and always will be, fresh in her mind. Its re-triggered memories that she's tried to forget from two years ago, but this time, she couldn't stop it. She threw off her uniform, crying heavily.

When she tossed it across the room, it landed on the little remote Batman gave her without realizing she did. She changed into her pj's, slapped her glasses on her face.

She was too ashamed to talk to anyone. She couldn't face her mom, Clark was most likely on his own, and Lois was trapped in D.C. An hour later, the sound of boots hitting the floor of her balcony caught her attention. Jessica silently walked towards the balcony to see Batman looking at her through the dark. "You called?" He asked in his deep voice.

Instead of saying anything, she kept her expression blank before falling into his arms. Bruce froze at the way she gripped onto him, silently sobbing as she broke down in his hold. He slowly wrapped his arms around her before he was fully holding her to his chest. He waited for her to calm down before he asked her any questions. "They could have stopped it..." She wept, not looking at him. "They're monsters, she's a monster." Jess sniffed but shook her head, remembering that she couldn't sense it. "No..." she recoiled, pulling away from his arms. "They just... I don't know anymore."

"What do you think they are? Truly?" He asked, stepping closer to her.

Jessica leaned on the ledge in thought. "They aren't the bad guys but... sometimes I can't explain it."

"They make it look like that." Batman grunted.

Jess huffed. "Why do you have such a problem with them?"

"It's Superman I have a problem with."

"And Superwoman?" Jessica questioned.

Bruce clenched and unclenched his hands. "You saw what happened at the capitol today. She's no better than him."

Jessica looked away with a sigh. "You're right." Bruce searched for an answer, but she wouldn't understand, so he stood quiet. Jessica was ready to leave back into her apartment when Bruce grabbed her arm.

"Don't run away."

"I'm not running away. I'm just tired of trying to make sense of everything." She sighed. Yet again, she turned around to leave towards her room, but Bruce stopped her. This time, he grabbed her arm and pulled her against him. "Are you always so touchy?" She went to pull away from her, but he restrained her from doing so.

"Do you always run away from your problems?" She paused briefly, looking up at the bat. She went to retaliate but refrained from it. "There it is."

"What?"

"You're doing it again."

"Stop doing that!" She snatched her arm out of his grasp. "Stop reading me like I'm some book!" She exclaimed, her eyes holding a new fire. She began to push him away without hurting him, but he just wouldn't budge. She finally gave up and allowed him to pull her into his arms. She closed her eyes, listening to his heartbeat.