The Crimson Cloaks

A frightening beam of light struck the small civilization known as Faisa. Everybody knew what that meant. The gods had decided to grant them another child. Everybody rushed out of their homes, and made their way to the town labyrinth located in the center of the town.

            The president, CC97, was already there waiting for everyone else to arrive. She was polishing the child’s right arm, which happened to be an Armsel Striker. They were all born with an Armsel Striker as a right arm. It was a genetic malfunction, but that’s not how the people saw it. They thought it was a gift from the gods. They believed that it was placed on them to protect them from the Turquoise Tunics.

            The Turquoise Tunics were their arch enemy, other than the White Wolves that roamed the country of Disim. The Turquoise Tunics had been rude to the Crimson Cloaks all because of the color of the clothing that they wore. The Crimson Cloaks did not like their counterpart’s choice to be rude to them. That was when the two groups decided to split Disim into two parts. One half was named Faisa, and the other half was named Roem.

            The two civilizations still continued to attack each other. The Crimson Cloaks were very good at ranged combat, but stood little chance when it came to close-range combat. The reason being was that the Turquoise Tunics were also born with a genetic malfunction. They were all born with a Katana as a left arm. The Turquoise Tunics also had shotguns taped to their right leg, throwing knives taped to their left leg, and butterfly knives styled into their hair. The Crimson Cloaks believed that this was an unfair advantage. In order to level the playing field, the Crimson Cloaks wore toll belts that held a dagger and two throwing knives, but they also slung muskets across their backs.

            Both groups fought each other for no apparent reason. Some believed it was because of religion, while others believed that it was because of their differences. The Elders of both groups stuck to the original belief that they fought because they decided to wear different colors.

            The Turquoise Tunics had started all because of an act of rebellion against the Crimson Cloaks. CC7 decided that her and her friend CC12 would wear turquoise instead of crimson. They were executed, but not before the gods could notice the action. From there on out, the gods delivered Crimson children to Faisa and Turquoise children to Roem.

            It upset the Turquoise Tunics that they had a lesser populous compared to the Crimson Cloaks. They began using their odd body parts for violence, instead of peace. To their shock, the Turquoise Tunics did not know how under populated they were compared to the Crimson Cloaks.

            The Crimson Cloaks population stands at 51, while the Turquoise Tunics population stands at 34. They are currently in peace, but no one knows what either side could be plotting.

            The town started to gather around the labyrinth. The president was already on a podium with the young girl. The town was in a state of bliss. They had not been sent a child in over five months. It was considered a national holiday since it took the gods longer than three months to send them another child.

            The president tapped the microphone. She pulled down her hood revealing her bald head. A bald head signifies a position of power in the town of Faisa. Every time a new president is elected, their hair is shaved in order to represent power and greatness.

            She cleared her throat. The town fell into a deafening silence. She solemnly said, “Thank you! Now, as we know, another child has been sent to us by the gods.”

            The crowd erupted into madness. There was hooting, hollering, clapping, and many more indescribable noises. The president let their celebrations continue on for a moment, because she was in no rush herself. She had to get back to a life of solidarity and vengeance after the ceremony was finished.

            She cleared her throat again. Once again, the town silenced. She let out a small, but equally powerful giggle. She said, “This child needs a mother. Now, as we know, a mother is picked by lottery, and we shall now begin that very same procedure.”

            She lifted a box from under the podium. Everybody watched as she opened the box and shoved her hand inside. It was a great honor to be selected as a mother, but if the child died or failed, then the mother would be forced to hang her head in shame for the rest of her life.

            The president slammed the box shut. Every woman took a sigh of silence. She unfolded the paper, but then a noise emerged from the trees. Everybody looked up and saw a Turquoise Tunic. Everybody rushed around, but then a loud bang erupted from the crowd. The Turquoise Tunic fell to the ground. Everybody waited for the smoke to clear, before noticing who took the shot. CC123 was standing up, with her Striker raised proudly above her head.

            Everybody cheered. CC123 had just saved all of them from an unspeakable disaster. The president was becoming impatient. She may not have liked her life of isolation, but her legs were beginning to strain from all of the standing.

            She cleared her throat, again. Not one woman in the crowd had silenced. None of them had ever seen a child learn how to use her Striker so quickly. It was a miracle.

            CC97 impatiently said, “Excuse me! Everybody… silence!”

            The whole crowd looked back up to the president. Their eyes showed fear, but some face still showed happiness from the previous celebrations. She smiled, causing the dimples around her mouth to curve.

            She unfolded the paper. Everybody was trying to see the name, but the slip of paper was  too opaque, so no one could read the name. The president dropped the slip of paper. She burst out into celebration. She squealed into the microphone, before saying, “The mother of the child is CC97. In other words, I’m the new mother of this child.”

            CC97 pulled a crimson cloak out from under the podium. CC123 put it on with joy. She noticed that her name, CC123, was written across the back of the cloak. CC123 also retrieved a musket and tool belt from under the podium.

            The weapons and accessories were placed on CC123 and she looked like an official Crimson Cloak. She looked like all the women that were surrounding her.

            The crowd cheered as CC97 led CC123 into her home. CC123 waved everyone away before slamming the door shut, beginning her life as a mother.