I knew it meant a lot to the other two, Riley more so than Fallon. Her eyes shined with unshed tears each time someone used the word family. It's been so long since anyone had called her that. Fallon was just ecstatic to have others his own age to play with. There were many children in the pack and all were happy to include him. A day didn't pass by that Fallon didn't have anyone to play with.

It's been so long since they've been shown such kindness. I was eternally grateful that they were now. But I was still bothered. Of course, I was happy that Riley and Fallon have easily found their place in the pack, but what of myself?

Kade had reassured me before that I didn't need to do anything, but I felt like I was a burden---I knew I was. I refused to give any information about my father and I've never shifted, not that I'd be useful in my other form. I had no education like the others; no cooking skills like Jasper; no medical knowledge like Gunnar. And I wasn't strong in my wolf form. I was fast but small and if attacked by a bigger wolf, not being able to escape, I would be seriously wounded if not killed. Not that I minded.

If I had to give my life for these people who've given Riley and Fallon so much, I gladly would, without a second thought.

"Please don't think that way."

I turned, startled, to find Shelby, usually so full of life, now with tears threatening to spill over. Her lip quivered, "Please don't say you'd gladly give up your life. Kade---everyone---would be devastated if you were gone." She gripped her sides, shuddering as she tried not to sob, losing the battle as the tears ran down her cheeks, "I d-don't w-want... we l-love you so m-much Asher..."

Ana had felt her distress, her face etched with worry as she jogged towards us. I sat there, stunned, as Ana rubbed Shelby's shoulders, trying to soothe the young she-wolf. Seeing her crying over me made my chest constrict, guilt at making her worry churning inside me.

I've never known a group of people more caring.

"That's what a pack is supposed to be." A deep, but soft, voice uttered. I glanced at the Alpha, who stood behind us, a kind look in his eye as he took in the scene. "I'm truly sorry that you had to wait so long to experience it. I wish things would have gone differently."

I, too, sometimes find myself wishing that things had gone differently, but... I think that, in a way, I'm glad they didn't. If not me then maybe someone else would experience it. And I could at least say I came out of it, scarred, but alive.

I explained my thoughts to Eric and he gave me a small, sad smile, "That may be true, but we all still wish you had a happier life up until now." I nodded, accepting his response.

Ana had taken Shelby inside, giving me a small smile that didn't reach her eyes before she left me with the Alpha.

"I think I have a solution to your dilemma." He said after a silence had settled between us. At my confusion, Eric explained, "No one sees you as a burden, but if you want something to do then I think there's a task you would excel at." My curiosity piqued, I waited for him to continue.

"You seem to be very in tune with nature, so I thought that maybe you would like tracking or patrolling. It would also give you a chance to explore the territory more. I know it may not sound glamorous but---"

I'll do it.

The excitement shone in my eyes. I knew what it entitled, Kade had explained the various things people did. Most of the jobs were ordinary ones. Though I'd do any of them if asked, I liked being out in the forest.

Eric chuckled at my enthusiasm, "We patrol every six hours. Usually, you would do the border closest unless specified, but since the pack house is in the center of our territory we go to whichever needs us." He paused, thinking for a moment, "I don't think you should do the eastern border... but if you want to then you need to bring at least two others with you. It may be a place your more familiar with, but there's been a lot of unfamiliar wolves appearing around that area." My excitement deflated a bit. I knew something about those wolves.

Uh, I---

"Eric we need ya over here!" Someone shouted.

Eric turned to me, giving me a smile, "You can start tomorrow if you feel like." His mouth tilted downward as the same person shouted again. It sounded like Rory with the way he called Eric 'a slow ass chicken nugget' whatever that meant.

"Sorry, I better go see what he wants." With one last smile, he walked toward where the shouts came from.

I sat there for a moment, fantasizing about my new job, my new purpose. My chest swelled with pride now that I could give back to the pack. A bounce in my step, I got up, intending to find Kade and tell the news. I could just picture the smile that'd stretch across his face, lighting up the room, as he congratulated me.

___________________
*****Another Asher POV chapter!!! Holy camoli I this this is my quickest update ever o0o lol I wanted to give some insight to Asher's past but got carried away.(sorry if you guys are getting impatient ^^') It'll definitely be in the next chapter (prepare for feels lol) Also, it seems I'm unintentionally making my chapters longer. Tell me if you guy think it's dragging on!!! 0-0 if you liked it then, like usual, please comment, vote, and share!*****