Chapter Thirty

After numerous minutes of persuasion, I finally convince Jade to get into the car. I kick at Taylor's body after locating the keys, and manage to bury him in a nearby ditch. If I had taken him with us, we'd be busted by daylight.

It won't be long before he is found, but there is no way the police will find out that it was us—Jade, that had killed him. 

The night seems to only get darker and darker as I drive down the empty road, and Jade cannot control her emotions. My hands are still shaking, but not as much as they had been before. I am much safer now, but not as safe as I can be. 

"How did he know where I was?" I ask suddenly. Jade slowly turns her head, chewing her bottom lip nervously. She is still breathing heavily, and as I can tell, trying not to cry. 

"He, he—" 

"Tell me. Now." I demand. Jade fully turns to me, her face falling to an angry expression. 

"They tracked your phone." she says lowly. I clench my jaw and turn my focus back to the road, squeezing the steering wheel. I mentally curse at myself, knowing that even though I had tried, I had not been as careful protecting my location as I thought I had been. 

"Where's Zephyr?" I ask in a more serious tone than questioning. Jade hesitates, and it infuriates me. 

"Jade," I turn my head to face her. "Where is Zephyr?" I split the words up to make them more serious and easier to understand. She looks at me scarcely with wide eyes and parted lips.

"Waiting for you," 

. . . .

"Hayden! Hayden, wake up!"

I am jolted from my sleep by a sudden voice in my face. I open my eyes and look up to find Jamie's smiling face. I sit up quickly, looking at her in confusion. 

"James? When—when did you?"

"They drove me home," she says lightly, taking a seat next to me on the couch. "I told them I was feeling better, but I told them that you were busy so they offered me a ride. They took me in the ambulance, can you believe it?"

I shake my head and place my palm up to my eyebrows. A headache is forming, reminding me of my regular hellish nightmares. But this one felt all too real. 

"What time is it?" I ask, trying to look at the clock, but not being able to read it due to my blurred vision. 

"Almost 2:30," Jamie informs me. "How long have you been asleep?"

I shrug my shoulders and try to stand up. I stumble and fall back onto the couch, Jamie's arms helping me down. 

"What's the matter with you, Hayden?" Jamie asks worriedly. "Have you been drinking?"

"I may have gone out a few hours after I left the hospital," I admit. "I don't really remember."

Jamie rolls her eyes, and I can see the disappointment in her face. I sigh, hoping that she will soon get over it and forgive me. I remember telling myself not to go out when I got back to the apartment, but I must have. I honestly do not remember. All I can think about is the dream. 

"What's that on your hand?" Jamie asks. We look down simultaneously, and my heart stops when I notice it. Then, it begins to pound heavily. Then the flashbacks return.

Jade directs me to where Zephyr and his crew are hiding. It's a small beaten up shack with light shining out of the cracks in the walls and front door. I pull up and turn the headlights off, then park across the road.