Chapter Eight

A/N: just an FYI, anything italicized outside of a quote is Hayden's thoughts. 

"Hayden? Hayden, I know you're in there." a familiar voice calls from the other side of the door. My heart pounds heavily against my chest as I pull myself up from the couch and drag my feet. I slowly raise my hand up and rest it on the doorknob, waiting for just the right moment to open the door to reveal Jade and I to each other.

 I close my right eye and peek out of the peep hole with my left to make sure that the stranger banging on my door is really who I think it is. And when my eyes agree with my ears, I unlock the door and yank it open.

"Get in here!" I blurt, pulling Jade into my apartment by her right arm. She gasps loudly, but says nothing. She falls on the floor behind me, and I slam the door shut. She stare up at me with her limbs sprawled out when I turn around. Worry covers every inch of her face, but I shake it off. 

I am not going to hurt her. I am not going to hurt her.

"What the hell, Hayden!" Jade yells, not moving a single muscle under my watch. I take a step forward, then a step back, and breathe in and out heavily. Words cannot accommodate my anger at the moment, and I am trying my best to control it. 

"What did you see?" I ask out of pure worry. My apprehensiveness is masked by ego, but Jade cannot tell the difference. She can read me.

Jade shakes her head numerous times before sitting in an upright position. Her eyebrows remain furrowed, and she still looks scared. Of me, I'm sure, but it is not what I had hoped for when she showed up on my doorstep. She deserves to fear me. Everyone does. 

"What are you talking about?" Jade asks, trying to stand, but when she sees me eyeing her, she sits still. I sigh heavily and take a step backwards. I squint my eyes and allow them to pierce her, hoping that whatever is going on in her head will soon come out of her mouth. 

"What are you doing here? What was that, you pounding on my door and shit? What's the matter with you?" I try to keep myself from yelling, but my anxiety always ends up turning into anger, and I cannot control it. No matter how hard I try.

"Why are you yelling? Are you hiding something, Hayden? Huh? What's the matter with me? What's the matter with you?" Jade yells back, only making me angrier. 

Suddenly, everything falls silent. The infuriated manner subsides, and I find myself at some kind of peace. 

I am not going to hurt her. I am not going to hurt her.

"Get up." I order, holding my hand down to Jade. She hesitates at first, but eventually takes it and stands to her feet. Her eyes fail to meet mine until I use my index finger to tilt her chin upward. 

"Jade," I sigh. "what are you doing here?" I ask as calm as my insane personality can manage. Jade's breathing is heavy, and I can tell that her heart is pounding involuntarily. She stares into my eyes with her dark green ones, and I can feel the monster in me slowly turn back to human. 

How is it possible that anyone could have that affect on me?

Jade wets her lips and presses them into a straight line. She glances away from me, lowering her head once again and sighing. 

"I was scared," she quietly admits, turning my heart to stone. The words cut deep into me, and I have no explanation as to why I am all of the sudden feeling everything so much. 

"Scared of what?" I ask, my voice thickening. I can feel the anger returning, making me fear what was to come next.

Jade shakes her head and pouts. She shrugs her shoulders and moves to step back, but I stop her. I do not want her leaving my sight until I know exactly what is going on in that nervous and skeptical head of hers. 

"That guy," she begins shyly. "he. . . he could have—"

I shake my head and pull her in for a hug. I do not want her to finish her sentence; as I already know what she was going to say. I never liked hearing things like that, especially if it was coming from Jade. 

I care about Jade. I want to protect her. . .

That is why I had to kill the man.

"Don't think like that. Don't think about it, Jade. I'm here to protect you. I'm going to protect you—whatever it takes." I say in a quiet voice. Jade cries into my chest, and my heart breaks for her. 

At least she will never have to deal with that specific man again. 

I had already taken care of him.