Chapter Fifteen

The next morning, I am finally freed from the hell hole that I was trapped in for nearly seven hours; thanks to Jade. There is no way that I can pay her back for what she did for me. And I almost feel regretful just thinking about it. 

I contemplate giving her a call and thanking her for what she had done for me, but it is still pretty early in the day. I figure that I would invite her out later tonight for a date. 

I have been confusing myself when it comes to Jade. Do I like her? Do I not like her? I don't know. For the minimal amount of time that we have known each other, we have been through a lot. 

For the first time in a long time, I turn the TV on and pay attention to the first thing that comes up on the screen. I have never been interested in what is going on in the world because I have my own. Everyone on the media is full of shit. 

For some reason every time I turn the TV on, there is always a news channel playing. The last time I watched a broadcast they were talking about the latest murder, and I ended up yelling at the screen because they got everything so wrong. 

"A car crash taking place on highway thirty-one is the result of a drunk driver, taking the lives of three passengers and leaving one injured." 

I roll my eyes at the news lady's explanation, realizing that even I could do a better report than that. Those bastards probably deserved it, anyway. 

I continue watching, hoping that they will show what kind of car was damaged and the people who were involved. Watching this cast gave me new ideas for when it's my time to work, and I think about different ways I could make it work. 

"This deadly crash claimed the lives of Dansel Adler, Cassidy White, Jason Brit, and left teen Jade Preston injured."

I jump up from the couch with my eyes bulging out of my head. The photos of the people looked unfamiliar people until Jason Brit and Jade showed up. Jason was the one I went to jail for. 

I threw the remote and stomped for the door, not even worrying about grabbing my coat. I don't even remember closing the door, but I don't care. 

I run down the sidewalk to the nearest hospital, hoping that that is where Jade is. I contemplate lighting a cigarette, but that takes time, and time is something that I do not have a lot of right now. 

Why would Jade get in the car with a drunk person? Was she drunk? These questions anger me. 

Tears begin to form in my eyes, and my heart sinks so low that I cannot even feel it beating anymore. I run past so many people that my vision grow blurry, and just as I make it to the hospital entrance, I fall to my knees, struggling to breathe. 

A nurse rushes to my aid, but I shove all of them off. 

"Tell me where Jade is," I demand, standing to my feet. The nurse nods and grabs me by the arm, leading me into the building. People stare as we pass by them, I try with everything to not flip them off. 

Don't stare at me like I'm a show. I'll make you the show.

The nurse takes me to the ICU and points to a young girl in a hospital bed with millions of wires attached to her face and arms. Her heart monitor beeps every few seconds, but that doesn't tell me a thing. 

"She's in critical condition," the nurse says. "I'll give you some time, but visiting hours are up at one-thirty for examination. You can come back later if you would like." she then leaves me alone in the doorway, staring at this girl that I thought meant nothing to me. 

I can't manage tears, but I can feel my heart being ripped into pieces. This was just some girl that ended up at my apartment after getting drunk at a party. Some girl that spent the night with me and made me breakfast in the morning. Some girl, I thought. Just some stupid girl. 

For a moment I feel my soul leave my body and storm up to Jade and scream in her face. It told her how idiotic she is and how much it hates her.  It told her that she means nothing to it and that she is just some dumb girl that means nothing to me. But then it returns, and my thought process changes. 

I turn around slowly and walk away, then begin running without looking back. I exit the hospital and run down the sidewalk, and across the streets without looking at the crosswalk signs. I run and run and run until I am at my destination. The coffee shop. 

I storm inside and search around until I see Jamie smiling at a couple sitting in a booth. She pours each of them a cup of coffee, then turns around and begins walking to the back when I quickly approach her. 

"Hayden, what happened to—"

"Do you remember when you said that you can't pick up someone else's sticks, but you can walk them to their next destination?" I interrupt, and Jamie nods. I pause for a moment, then speak again. "I need you to walk me to mine."