Chapter 25: Chicken Soup Can't Heal a Heart Break

Start from the beginning

The girls' muttered words were muffled from the thick wood currently separating them from taking me to the nearby hospital. Well, my house, at least. The throbbing increased slightly as I fell back against the mountain of pillows. I breathed out a groan and squeezed my eyes shut. I knew standing out in the rain was going to come back and bite me in the ass, but I didn't know it was going to sink its teeth in deep and leave a huge mark.

The overbearing, sick feeling prevented me from any peaceful sleep; however, with all the crying and exhaustion of yesterday, I fell into a deep slumber. A slumber where I felt like I didn't slip off into dreamland in the first place and, instead, just stood at the other side of it, staring in like a moron rather than stepping into serenity.

"What are you going?" said a new voice. Chase.

"We're trying to get inside and save Macey from going to the light, Chase, would you like to help?" Dylan replied smartly.

Instead of snapping back at her, I could hear the smirk in Chase's voice as he said, "I'd love to."

I flopped my head to the side and kept my eyes on the door, half expecting Chase to crash through the door rather than going through a more civil way, which is asking Kelly for the key. Of course, they'll have to interrupt her evil planning. . .

There are negative factors, however, that make me want to a) stay here in my sick and depressing state; or b) throw myself in the car and floor it home. Weak and dying, I'd rather stay here. The thought of getting up and crawling down the tall flight of stairs isn't very appealing to me right now. In fact, I'm sure I'll throw up after taking a step. This bed is more than happy to keep me captive until I'm well enough to get back up on my feet. Connie has her day off today and rocks an amazing chicken soup recipe.

But, if I stay here, the chances of Adrian coming in to throw excuses my way is even more worse. Like, the little caveman recruiting even bulkier friends to come and break through my forehead kind of worse.

A clicking sound tugged me back to reality, much to my dismay. I watched in amazement as the door was pushed open and a triumphant looking Chase stood there with his chest puffed out and eyes glowing bright. A bobby pin was jammed into the golden lock.

Huh. Maybe he took the criminal way, then.

The triumphant smirk Chase had just five seconds ago twisted into one of disgust. "Woah, you look like crap."

My hero. How sweet.

Luckily, Dylan came from behind him and shoved him into the door as she walked past. Amber rushed to my side with a concerned look. Brynn was soon by my side and frowning down at my figure.

"Mace, you really don't look good," Brynn said gently, sitting at the edge of the bed. If I could, I'd probably shove her off the bed for stating the complete obvious. But since I don't have the energy, I narrow my eyes at all of them in a glare.