Chapter 10: Secrets, Lies, and Waffles [Part 2]

*Adrian's POV*

It all started when the girls disappeared around the corner..

"Do you really think they're going to do a project in a library and then go to a waffle house?" Brandon asked, earning himself a smack in the head from Chase. 

"Really, dude?" Chase snorted.

"What? It seemed pretty legit to me."

"You believe they're going to waffle house?" Chase deadpanned.

"Well.." Brandon replied sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

Chase rolled his eyes and turned to me with his arms crossed. "What do you think, Adrian?"

I was still staring at the spot where Macey and the girls disappeared. I could tell Macey was putting up a good fight to lie to me but even after disappearing from her life for four years, I could still tell when she was lying. Their lie would've worked if Amber didn't mention going to  waffle house. Leave it to her to ruin a secret.. 

"Adrian," Chase repeated. I looked to him with a pointed look on my face.

"Of course I don't believe them." I scoffed. As much as I do respect Macey's privacy, I hated the fact that she was lying to me about it. I mean, how bad could this secret really be? It's not like they're breaking into a bank or robbing a jewelry shop or some shit like that. If she was willing to hide this from me, then I'm damned determined to figure out why.

The corner of my lip pulled upwards into an evil smirk. I turned to the guys. As if reading my mind, they produced a smirk of their own and shot me a smug look.

"Up for a drive, boys?"

I ended up falling last in line while following the girls to their secret destination. A red Ferrari tends to gain attention, especially when a star is riding in it. But of course, the top was on and my windows were tinted a bit, but that wouldn't stop the girls from noticing that they're being followed.

Brandon had borrowed his grandpa's old car so the girls have no idea who the driver is. Hopefully they don't notice the trash on wheels trailing behind them. Chase was next in his Ford Explorer with me behind him. More and more rain droplets were pounding against the window, blocking my vision. I turned the windshield on just as Brandon changed lanes.

Only when we were driving deeper and deeper into down town did my thoughts start to swirl in my head. Obviously, they weren't going to the library since the nearest public library was only a ten minute drive from our school. Where the hell are they doing?

I got my answer about ten minutes later when I mimicked Chase's actions of parking next to the sidewalk a few feet away from a building. Trying to see through the drops of water stuck to the window, I saw Brynn's blond hair jumping out of the drivers seat and making her way to the back of the car. Amber was next, scrambling quickly to the trunk and grabbing a purple backpack before making a mad dash for the front entrance. Two brunettes exited the back seats and walked casually to the trunk. 

The only difference between the two was one of them had blond ends, meaning it was Dylan. She took out a duffel bag and passed a black backpack to who I assumed was Macey before making their way inside with Brynn. Once they were inside, I waited a few minutes before opening the door and stepping out into the rain. 

I made my way towards Chase and waited for Brandon to come out of his crappy car. I shouldn't be one to judge but even he called it a shitty car.