Chapter 24: Once Upon A Stormy Night

Start from the beginning

I huffed angrily at myself, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk and carelessly ripping the heels off my feet, not caring what could puncture me in the foot as I continued to walk. I should have let go of my feelings for Adrian. I didn’t need this whole teenage drama! Letting go of whatever I felt wouldn’t have brought on this whole ‘I’m not good enough for him’ feeling and the jealousy building up inside of me as I thought about God knows whatever those two are doing at Kassie’s hotel.

These last few weeks were nothing to him. Thrown to the wind as he rejoiced with his Hollywood life and his old player ways.

I told you so, the voice whispered in my head.

Yes. It definitely told me so.

“Excuse me,” someone said. A woman carrying an umbrella and a bag full of groceries stood looking at me with an expression of disbelief and concern. I know what she’s thinking. I looked like the perfect picture of a young girl who just got abandoned by her boyfriend on the night of a special occasion, and now the girl was completely heartbroken as she walked home in the rain with a glum look on her face.

If I was thirteen and dumped at a school dance, then this would be the time where I would call my dad for him to come to his little girl’s rescue. But my dad was working the graveyard shift tonight, so. . .

“Yes?” I asked, straightening my spine.

“You really shouldn’t be walking out here this late at night. Especially with the rain,” she told me, a frown settling on her lips. “Do you need to use my cellphone to call someone?”

I smiled at the lady’s offer. “No, thank you,” I answered, glad that someone was offering to help in my time of need. However, I did not want to waste anymore of her time. “I’m just going to meet my friend down the street, so she could take me home,” I lied.

“All right, but do get home and try to warm up. You’re sure to catch a cold soon,” she said, frowning a bit.

I pushed through my miserable state and gave her the best convincing smile I could. “I will, thank you very much.”

I waited until sound of her car faded behind the pitter patter of the rain. Quite reluctantly, I put my heels back on and walked as quickly and safely down the street and under the shelter of a chinese restaurant. There was no using of walking into any store while drenched with water, so I took out my phone again and called Amber again.

“Please, pick up,” I whispered quietly to myself. The shivers made my body tremble uncontrollably, resembling the shaking of a chihuahua.

Five more unanswered calls later and all hope was drained away with the rest of the running water. My best friend ditched me for a booty call, it was late at night, nobody is answering my calls of help, and the rainy weather was increasing my chances of catching hypothermia.