Chapter 01- Doctor Harleen Quinzel

"Doc, the Warden wants a word with you" a security guard muttered.

"Of course" I sighed.

My name is Harleen Quinzel and I am a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum.

I began walking down the narrow corridors towards the wardens' office. What was going on now? What was I being assigned now? I had heard there was a new inmate being released into our custody, which was a surprise since it was rare when these sorts of things happened. I had heard many things about the rumoured inmate.

His name was The Joker.

He was a mass murderer.

And a psychotic clown.

My mind wondered to this clown; who was he and what was his story? My mind began racing, dozens of thoughts racing around my brain as I almost collided into the door. Managing to stop myself from hurtling myself into the wardens door, I tugged at my clothing, pulled out a small mirror from the pocket of my white coat and stared at my complexion. I looked presentable with my blonde hair pulled back into a neat ponytail; my glasses on making me look intelligent. I could feel myself hyperventilating. Taking deep breaths, I managed to regain control over myself and plastered a smile onto my pale face.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Come in" Warden Jones shouts.

I pushed open the door and was met with warmth. The fire where the warden was stood was blazing. The warmth felt comforting yet there was this death like chill sweeping around the room and I couldn't place my finger on where it was coming from. Standing awkwardly at the door, the warden had his back to me gazing into the fire with a hard expression on his face. He wore his only expensive suit what he normally wears to work. For been the warden of this place and it was his duty to look after people, he was doing an appalling job looking after himself. After a few brief moments of silence I spoke.

"Warden you requested to see me" I said.

"Ah yes, Dr Quinzel thank you for coming" Warden Jones said whilst turning around.

He took a seat at his desk and I took the seat in front of him. We both stared at one another until he pulled out a folder from his drawer and flung opposite me.

"You're new assignment Harleen, it will be non compulsory. I want you take a look at this folder before agreeing to the assignment" Warden Jones groaned without having the decency to look at me.

I flipped the folder open to be welcomed with a photograph of a man with green hair and a terrifying grin on his face. The Joker. His face was haunting, as was the rest of the folder. I could taste bile whilst looking at a photograph of the murder scenes. He was brutal. Yet there was something unknown and unseen, like a high magnitude of power drawing me in. I have to crack The Joker. I have to find out his story. I have to know The Joker.

"I will accept the assignment" I whispered praying that I won't regret this decision.

"Very well" Warden Jones smiled his face finally brightening up with colour. Hope that was what it was on his face yet deep within his brown eyes was fear.

"Bring him in" Warden shouted.

The doors opened and in came half a dozen guards two pulling a man in. The Joker. I couldn't help but gape at him, he truly was insane. His eyes lingered on me for a few moments and a devilish smile lit up his face.

"Hello Doc, I'm Mr J. It's a pleasure to meet you doll face HA HA HA"

I gasped. What have I got myself into?