8: Get out

Mimic and Glimmer stood silently on the roof of The Avengers tower, their eyes cast to the city below them as wind whipped around their bodies. It had been nearly a month since they had begun their 'internship' for the Avengers and nothing of interest had really happened. They had done errand after errand for the group, learning the way they worked and interacted. Occasionally the Duo caught the team training, allowing them to watch and analyse the way they fought and their weaknesses while fighting.

However, they were never aloud in any meeting, hindering the way they reported to Strucker. Little pieces of information wou do slip through in conversation but nothing useful for the girls, until that morning. The Avengers had set off without warning, disappearing on a mission. This left the girls in the tower with S.H.I.E.L.D Agents who didn't want much to do with the Duo, leaving them to mainly roam free in the facility. Unfortunately Stark AI had watch on everything, keeping Ruby and Crystal from getting into most rooms.

Suddenly, Ruby's phone began to ring, the sound seemingly louder in the quiet area. Without a word she answered it, already knowing who it was. "You both have failed me!" Baron Strucker yelled, allowing Crystal to hear his displeasure without having to move closer to Ruby. "You both have failed me! Why are the Avengers here attacking my compound?!"

"But we didn't-"

"I do not care! You have two days to return to Sokovia with the sceptre! If not, don't get coming back at all!" With that the angered male hung up the phone, leaving the Duo in shock.

"Ruby-"

"We get the sceptre as soon as the Avenger get back and we return to Sokovia." Ruby's voice was cold and almost completely emotionless as she spoke. Her eyes glossed over as she stared at the horizon. "I want you to be ready to get out of here, do not engage unless needed."

"But-"

"Crystal please." Miss Jackson's voice shifted, her tone now begging as she turned to the sixteen year old. "Do not engage unless needed." Frowning slightly the younger nodded. "And if they take me, escape. Get out of here and don't look back no matter what. The twins will be back in Sokovia, get to them and get out. Don't let Strucker catch you."

"I'm not going to leave you here."

"You aren't going to get hurt for my sake."

"I can handle myself."

"I know you can, but I don't want you getting hurt. The twins can take care of you, they will take care of you."

"But I don't want to be with just the twins, I want you to be there too!"

"We're not arguing about this Crystal, if it come to it you escape and leave me." Ruby's tone turned cold once more, signalling the conversation was over. Crystal sighed and looked to the floor, her boots shuffling along the floor slightly, causing the older female to sign once more, guilt rising in her chest. "You know I just want to protect you right? I'm not saying this to be horrible."

"Yeah, I know. But why can't you understand that I'm not going to leave you, I'm not going to lose you. We went over this the day Wanda used her powers on me." Ruby rubbed her eyes tiredly, not wanting to remember that night. It had shaken Crystal pretty bad, no matter how many times she had told the twins she was fine. Only Ruby could see through the act and it killed the blue eyed girl to see her friend so scared. They knew Wanda was strong, but they had never been warned how strong, Strucker had left them to figure that out on their own.

"Please just follow my orders for once." Ruby sighed, watching as the jet came into view, seemingly faster than she had anticipated; either that or the pair had been arguing for a while.

"Okay." Ruby nodded once and slipped her dagger from the waist band of her jeans. Crystal lead the way back into the building, hurrying towards the hanger so they could catch the team as the exited the jet. Neither girl said as word as the cargo door opened, revealing Hawkeye on a stretcher with Black Widow following quickly behind. This gave the Duo a small sense of relaxation, they wouldn't have to take on the assassins as well as the others. Just then Steve, Tony, Bruce and Thor emerged.

"Hello girls, nothing to do?" Steve asked kindly, a small smile on his lips. Miss Jackson stepped forward, her arm extended with the blade pointing towards the four men.

"Give us the sceptre." She demanded, her voice low, nothing any of the men had heard before. "Give us the sceptre and no one gets hurt."

"What are you-" Tony was cut off when a bright white light shot through the air, causing all four heroes to cover their eyes for a few moments. When they looked back Crystal stood tall behind Ruby, her outfit pure white and her feathered wings spread wide behind her.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way Captain." The seventeen year old spoke again, her voice dropping into its natural accent, sounded exactly like the Strucker. "It's your call."

"You're the girls from the S.H.E.I.L.D attack." Bruce whispered almost in horror. "Those wings." Ruby reacted before Bruce could get any closer to Crystal, her hands shooting out slightly as white light surrounded her. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk all stumbled backwards, tripping over the cargo door and falling back into the jet. Movement passed over them once, twice, then an angered yell.

"We're leaving, I can't find it."

"But Strucker-"

"We'll have to find something when we get back to Sokovia." Steve watched silently as Ruby pulled a terrified Crystal into a hug. "We can't go back to Strucker and I'm not searching this whole damn tower just for something that has never helped us! We got it the first place, it isn't our fault he lost it and that they've hidden it." Crystal nodded and allowed Ruby to mimic her wings, quickly running to end of the hanger before jumping off towards the city.

The blue eyed girl started at the four slightly disorientated men for a few seconds before following her green eyed friend, soaring into the air above New York City once more.