Abandoned

I sighed as I sat there in my office chair deep in thought. If I was pregnant then what would joker say? How would he react when I told him? Why was I even thinking this I didn't even know for sure... I rested my hand on my stomach looking down at it.. "Hey Eva.." Lex trailed off as he entered the office Sitting at his desk and fiddling with a pencil in his hand. "You alright?" He tilted his head smiling and studying me. "Yes I'm perfect!" I smiled and gave him a thumbs up. He sighed and rubbed his eyes standing up. Slowly he strode to me and sat on my desk. "Eva I can tell when something's wrong.." He ran his hand through his short hair. "With people I mean. I can tell when things are wrong and all that stuff." He chuckled smiling at me. I pressed my lips in a thin line and gazed down at the floor. There was a pause. "Wanna talk about it?" He asked keeping a gaze out the window next to us. I didn't reply. Part of me wanted to express my worry and the other part just wanted to crawl in a corner. "I um... No I'd rather not." I smiled at him. "Thanks for the offer though!" He gave me a slight smile and a pause before retreating out the office.

When it was my lunch break I quickly ran down to the small pharmacy across the street and picked up a pregnancy test. I had to know if I was or not. I slowly stepped into the woman's restroom and studied myself in the mirror. My tummy was slightly beginning to stick out but it wasn't completely noticeable.

I sat down and took the test. My stomach turned nervously and I felt a bit light headed as I looked down at the pregnancy stick.

My eyes widened and suddenly I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. Gasping in disbelief a slow smile crept on my face.

I was pregnant.

I was going to have a kid! A lovely , beautiful, wonderful child! With the love of my life! With jack....

Jack...

My smile faded and my tears weren't happy anymore when I thought of joker. How would he take it? Would he want to be a dad? Would he still love me and this child? Would he leave me? Would he....kill me? Kill us...?

No.... I-I ....he'd never...

I felt a headache come on as I choked down slow sobs.

Either way he had to know and he would find out in the future.

I exited the bathroom, my face feeling hot and my breath quick instead of steady. I entered the office once more to see lex sitting at his desk. He did a double take at me before standing up. "What's wrong?" He questioned me, furrowing his brows and tilting his head. "I um is it ok if I leave work early please?" I practically begged him. "Yeah. Yeah! Of course ." He said moving closer to me. I stepped back . He noticed this. "I-I..thank you!" I muttered practically running out the door and down to the entrance. I sat at a bench outside the building holding my phone to my ear. It rang twice before Jack picked up.

"Helllooo baby!" He growled making me more nervous. I took the moment to take in his voice hoping it wouldn't be the last time i'd hear it. "Eva?" He asked making me snap back to reality. "Uh jack can you please.." I took in a breath of air trying not to sound vulnerable or weak. "Please pick me up?" I cleared my throat. "Darling is everything alright!?" He sounded serious and concerned. "Um just pick me up." I said hanging up. It took about ten minutes before he pulled up. Instantly he got out of the car and quickly walked to me. "Baby what's wrong are you hurt?" He took my face in his hands and searched me. I stood up. "We should go for a ride..." He gave me a confuse look but got in the car without another word. We drove around in silence until eventually I broke that silenced.

"We need to talk.." My words cut through the thick air. "What about?" His voice was quiet but I could still hear him. I didn't reply. I felt like I was on thin ice that was just about to break. "I-I um.." I trailed off not able to find words. I felt a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach. "Eva.." He whispered my name keeping his eyes on the road. "Doll?" He whispered again after minutes of silence.

"Talk to me. Your not leaving me are you?!" Panic raised in his voice. "No no of course not!" I sighed out. "I-I um. I'm-" I took a breath in. It's now or never... "Jack I'm pregnant.." I felt my words ring in my ears. He didn't reply. I glanced over to read his expression. It was full of shock. He pulled the car over and ran his fingers through his hair. "W-what!?" He stuttered. "I'm preg-" he yelled cutting me off and making me jump. "I don't need you to repeat it!" His voice was growl like and rang through my ears. My hand instantly went to my stomach resting there. I felt tears build up but pushed them back.

"Your sure its mine!?" He snapped. "Of course it is why wouldn't it be!?! Who else would it belong to!?" I yelled defensively. " how about that damn lex fellow?" He yelled gripping hard on the steering wheel. " I've seen the way he looks at you!" He hit the wheel angrily. " jack I love you! Your the only one in my eyes!" I furrowed my brows. He chuckled bitterly. "Don't call me jack.." His words stung me. I opened my mouth to speak but no words could come out.

" Get out!" He firmly said. " what? Jack listen to me-" he cut me off yelling. "Get out!" I jumped but didn't move. His hand quickly moved to underneath his seat pulling out a gun. My eyes widened as he pointed it at me though his eyes told me he didn't want to. "Get out.." He bitterly whispered. "How will I get home!?" I raised my voice opening the damn door and getting out.

"Walk!" He bitterly chuckled. "You'd make your pregnant wife walk home!?" I scowled at him. "Your not my wife and that thing in your stomach is not mine!" He growled. He moved his hand over to my open door. "And don't bother coming home." He whispered before slamming it and speeding off way past the limit.

Tears fell out like Niagara Falls as I walked . It got darker and the air got colder. I wrapped my arms around my chest as I sobbed. Too tired to walk on anymore I sat at a bench my hands fell into my face. "What're we going to do now?" I whispered to my unborn child. "We're all alone.." I felt more tears push out of my eyes and a headache coming on strong. There was silence besides me crying.

A dark car pulled up in front of me. The window rolled down revealing lex. "Eva?" He sounded confused as he got out of the car and came over to me. "Are you alright? What're you doing out here alone? It's freezing! " his voice was quick as he took off his coat and put it around me. I felt more tears pour out, I didn't even try to hold them back anymore.

"Let me take you home atleast.." Lex sighed out after a moment of silence sitting next to me on the bench. "I can't go home.." I mumbled wiping some tears away. "What?" He asked in confusion. "I can't go home lex." I whispered avoiding his eyes. "Well you can't stay outside! Just come on get in the car and we'll figure something out alright?" He said standing up. Hesitantly I nodded and stood up too.

Warm air hit me as I sat in lex's car. We drove in silence. "I'm pregnant lex..." I whispered feeling more tears. "And he- " I struggled to breath. "He wouldn't even look at me!" Lex didn't reply he just continued to drive. "He told me not to come home, he made me walk, he left me all alone, he pointed a gun at me, but worst if all he wouldn't look at me!" I ran my fingers through my hair tugging on it A bit. "Eva I'm so so sorry..." Lex quietly whispered. "You deserve better." Lex mumbled shaking his head scowling. I slowly twisted the ring on my finger. "I love him. He loves me.. " I whispered. "He loved me.." I bit my bottom lip. "That's not love Eva .." Lex huffed out as he pulled up the driveway of a house. We both got out of the car and entered.

"Um .." Lex rubbed his eyes. "There's a guest bedroom upstairs down the hall to your left.. And if your hungry there's food in the fridge. Help yourself." He mumbled. I hugged him in the friendly manner. "Thank you lex. " he hugged me back. Short and brief. I sniffled before retreating upstairs. "Oh and Eva?" I stopped in my tracks looking down at lex from the top. "I hope you know if that was me... I wouldn't do that to you.." He whispered before giving me one last look and walking away.