______________________________

LATER that evening, Jessica opted for just staying at home.

She looked over to her balcony right beside her. Life was moving too quickly for her. Between Lionel's letter, Batman's visits, the upcoming D.C. hearing, and her scrambled brain, she didn't know what to do anymore. Jess rubbed her eye on her glasses as she looked over to Lionel's envelope on her nightstand.

She reached over, emptying the envelope into her hand. Her heart almost stopped at the sight of her silver house of El key. She ran her finger over the S while running her other hand over her forehead. "Why the hell didn't you give this to me?" She whispered to herself. She placed the key into her jewelry box on her nightstand.

The light from outside caught sight of the gold foil that was still in her apartment. "It's like I can't get rid of you." She hissed, grabbing it off the stand and getting ready to throw it in the trash before a heavy thump was heard. She paused, placing it back on the nightstand.

Jess looked around to see the same giant black mass standing in the middle of her balcony. She glared at him, not bothering to say anything. The look was the coldest she had ever given anyone and Batman could feel it. 

Bruce watched her from where he stood, freezing from her harshness. "It's been a while," He said with a clear of his throat. "I wanted to see if things were alright." He answered gruffly, his voice modifier acting up again.

Jess got up, striding over to him before slamming her balcony doors in his face. Bruce closed his eyes with a sigh. "Great." He grumbled. His anger and compulsive need to protect her led to her giving him the cold shoulder and he hated it. He decided to open the doors anyway. Instead of apologizing, like he wanted, a different sentence flew from his mouth. "I noticed you haven't written an article in two weeks."

"What do you want?"

Bruce watched her curled up form, on her bed, for a moment. "I..." He clenched his fist. "I wanted to apologize. I shouldn't have said what I said, but I know how dangerous this line of work is." He took a few steps closer inside her room. "You'll get hurt."

"I've handled myself before." Batman's response was a roll of his eyes. If there was one thing that he could not stand, it was how stubborn she could be. It drove him so far up the walls. The strap of her nightgown fell down her shoulder, exposing her cream-colored shoulder. "Listen, I get that you want to get information, I really do, but don't pretend you care about me." She asserted, looking back at him with her hair framing her face.

Bruce stayed unmoved from the balcony, he couldn't and wouldn't go in. His mind was making himself stay put, no matter how badly he wanted to be close to her again, to comfort her, but Batman doesn't comfort people. He punishes people who deserve to be punished.

Instead of listening to his intuition, he forced himself to move. She heard him clear his throat. "Jess..." He walked over to her, pushing her strap up her shoulder. He held his hand out to her as Jess looked at it. "Come with me." She grabbed his hand skeptically.

"I'm not dressed to go anywhere."

"It's just to the balcony." Bruce stood Jess right in front of him with his hands on her shoulders once they reached the middle of Jess's balcony. "Now, close your eyes and listen to your city."

Jess released a soft sigh before closing her eyes. She heard the rustling of trees, cars zipping by, friends laughing, music playing, and everything that made her love humanity. "What's this for?"

"To show that you can't be in such a small world." He turned her around to face him. "Your light is too bright for that."

"If this is supposed to be a hero to a damsel in distress moment, you found the wrong woman." Jess mumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.