A Town Called Gravity Falls

Start from the beginning

"Let's get your luggage inside and we'll head down to the diner for dinner." Stan replied avoiding the question.

The diner was anything but impressive, or hygienic, but the food was edible which meant she couldn't count on Dipper to demand they go somewhere else. As long as the food didn't taste like it'd ensure illness or like dirty gym socks Dipper would eat, not a lot though, without complaint. Mabel however was much pickier. "I want the chicken schnitzel, with no gravy, I don't want vegetables or salad and I swear if you season it with anything but salt it will decorate the walls and if the soda has ice in it and and a straw or it will follow the schnitzel." She explained very calmly, ignoring the kick from Dipper under the table.

"Of course sunshine." The waitress smiled seeming unfazed by Mabel's demands, Stan had called her Lazy Susan, Mabel was debating on whether that was because of her lazy eye or because she was actually lazy. "What about you darling?" She said turning to Dipper.

"Chicken soup and a glass of water please." He replied not looking up from his book.

"Would you like any bread with that?"

"No, just soup."

"Mmkay, if you change your mind just come tell me. I'm guessing you want the usual Stan?"

"You bet Susan." Stan grunted eyeing Mabel who was wiping down her spot on the table with a cloth, he wasn't sure where she'd gotten it from. Dipper however had noted there was now one less coaster on the table and internally groaned. When it came to small scale magic Mabel often used it to make her life easier, Dipper didn't approve but it was her life, if he didn't think she was doing anything particularly noticeable it wasn't worth mentioning. Their meals came back, luckily just as Mabel had ordered, strangely Stan's was pancakes, and a silence took over as they ate. However Stan noticed Dipper barely paid any mind to the soup before him, choosing rather to immerse himself on the knowledge of the book. "Aren't you going to eat that?" He asked having polished off the pancakes in record time. Dipper shook his head and pushed the bowl towards Stan already knowing the man wanted to eat it. "You won't get any muscles skipping meals you know." The man grunted between gulps of soup.

"Don't even bother Uncle Stan. He lives off knowledge." Mabel teased flicking a crumb in Dipper's direction.

"At least I don't live off sass." Dipper replied coolly as he turned the page. Mabel grinned and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"So, sport, what are you reading?" Stan asked. Finally Dipper looked away from the book, his steel grey eyes seemed to drag Stan's soul into a void of numb and emptiness and as he stared longer Dippers eyes seemed to brighten into an eerie glowing blue colour. There was a thump and Dipper flinched, releasing Stan from whatever hold he'd been under. Mabel had kicked him, unlike Mabel Dipper couldn't always control his magic, it often happened when he met someone eye to eye and there was a very good reason for it, Mabel was usually able to snap Dipper back into control.

"An interesting piece of fiction in which a trio of rather misfortunate protagonists are trapped in a chain of unfortunate happenings." Dipper replied turning his attention back to the book. Stan looked lost, and Mabel didn't really blame him, Dipper seemed to find it amusing to use large words and vague descriptions to undermine people's intelligence, which could be even more frustrating than Mabel's habit of rudely giving her opinions. "The antagonist is particularly loathsome in his persistence in the attempt to gain control of the protagonists and their inheritance."

"Right... Who are the main characters?" Stan said nervously. Mabel had to hand it to him, he had enough gall to continue the conversation, most people were silenced by Dipper's reply.

"A young girl who is an avid inventor, her younger brother who can call on the information of almost any book he's read, and their younger sister who... Bites things." Dipper replied dropping the undermining, seemed Mabel wasn't the only one impressed.

"And what do you like to do Mabel?" Stan asked.

"Throw knives." She answered with a straight face.

"Like... In some sort of street performance?"

"Yeah, sure. Let's go with that." She gave him a big smile.

"Okay, you're kind of terrifying. Let's head home." Stan said standing up.
---

Mabel sat on the bed and sighed for the seventh time in a row, finally Dipper put down the book. Which was funny, she usually got to twelve before he caved, he must be tired. "What's the problem now?" He asked.

"The bed is too hard and the pillows all lumpy, the room smells like mould and I'm pretty sure that sock in the corner just moved." She said with a grimace. He stared at her for a while before snapping his fingers. With a poof her bed was softer the pillow was new and the room smelt like flowers. He didn't do anything about the sock though. She smiled and leapt off the bed to hug him. "Thanks Dip Dop."

"You know I abhor that nickname." He muttered with a scowl as she skipped back to her bed.

"Well I like it." She practically sang, dragging out the 'l' on the word like.

"Duckie." Dipper said flatly making his sister scowl.

"Low blow Mason, low blow." She huffed. "So, what's the plan for tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow we establish a normal routine that will ensure the least amount of suspicion. Creating designated times to research, find and deal with all Weird Instants."

"Ew, how mundane."

"We aren't here for excitement. We're here to do our job."

"Oookay, Commander Buzzkill. We're suppose to be acting like we're on summer vacation, would it be so bad to visit a beach or something? Oh! Maybe we can do some performances, strike some real wonder into their small rural minds."

"You're not allowed to throw knives at the townsfolk... Or tourists."

"You used to be fun."

"You used to pretend you were a unicorn."

"As a matter-of-fact I am a unicorn. And not just any unicorn. I am a stabulous unicorn from the Stabbing organisation of assassination-corns."

"Shut up and go to sleep."

"Yes sir, General Killjoy, sir."
---

Soooo.... How is it? Granted this chapter was born in a 'midnight and can't sleep' moment but I rather like it. I think this story will be fairly interesting but that's just my hopes as an author, it's up to you to raise those hopes or dash them. I want honest opinions though. Don't worry about sparing my feelings after all...

Pain is Hilarious.