11: Embarrassed

Chapter Eleven: Embarrassed

"What are you doing here?" I ask Paul anxiously.

"I came to take you home. Please, get in," he answers in a sickly sweet voice.

After I step inside the car, he shuts the door behind me. I watch him trot around to the driver's side. He starts the car with a grin on his face.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" I ask impatiently.

He shrugs, smug as ever.

"Paul. Tell me. What is it?" I demand.

"Your father will tell you as soon as you're home. He and Alpha Levi are waiting for you," he says.

"I know. Is that why I couldn't just run home?" I ask.

He shrugs again. "Maybe. They just told me to bring you back."

"Why you?" I ask bluntly.

He turns and gives me a toothy smile. "I volunteered."

"Why? I thought you hated me?"

He only laughs loudly.

"Paul!" I shout. "What the hell is going on?"

"Believe me, Diana. I'd love to deliver the news, but they said I was not allowed to tell you."

What the hell kind of news could there be? I'll just have to wait and find out, because I'm done asking this idiot anything. The rest of the drive lasts about ten awkward minutes. Neither of us speak again, and I can't seem to forget that I look like a rag doll. I didn't shower today, or even really brush my hair. My T-shirt is all stretched out and old, it's not even the right color anymore. I try to keep it up to cover more of my chest. My skimpy shorts don't help me much either. And I didn't even bring shoes. I want to face palm right now. Why don't I ever think of anything ahead of time?

Paul pulls the car to the front of the huge Pack House. I don't wait for him to open my door, or to see if he even would; I get out immediately and walk anxiously up the steps to my home. The front door is opened a second before my hand reaches the handle.

Cauis stands behind the door, waiting for me to step through. Are the other Betas here too? Is this a meeting? I try not to panic.

"Diana," my father calls from the kitchen. "In here."

I step in and a moment later hear Cauis shut the door behind Paul. I notice only a few of our Betas in the living room as I walk through. One of Levi's as well. A couple of them nod at me, but I ignore them, wishing (and maybe pretending, a little) that they don't really see how I look. Paul and Cauis sit with them as I round the corner into the kitchen, embarrassed by my choice of clothes and unkept appearance. Dad and Levi are sitting at the kitchen table, waiting for me.

"Hey," I start. "What's going on?"

"What the hell are you wearing?" Dad asks, completely shocked by my appearance.

I sigh. "I thought I was just going to the Elders' Corner today. I didn't realize we'd have a... meeting or anything."