23. Runes of Love

Start from the beginning

Instead, my stomach filled itself with butterflies. Before they worsened, I sat up. "What do you want this time, Daemon?" I asked him tiredly.

"I only show up whenever you think about me. We're connected you see." Daemon replied as he points to his forearm, a lazy grin forming on the side of his mouth.

"And I can see that you think about me...often." he said gently.

I blushed. "Not in the way that you think." I should be anxious with him in my room. After his offers during the game one would think I've learned my lesson.

I decided to change the topic of our conversation. "Have you come to take me to the Nether Realm to play the game?"

Daemon adjusted himself on my bed to a comfortable position and crossed his ankles together. "I've decided to pause our 'little' game briefly. This so-called 'Medio Terrae' is ruining my fun." he drawled.

"Well thank you, I could really use a break." I snapped. I proceeded to grab my suitcase from under the bed and began to grab shirts and bottoms from my drawers.

Daemon let out a theatrical sigh. "Running away, already? But we haven't even had our fun yet."

"I'm getting the hell out of here and I'm taking my mother with me. She and I aren't safe here because of those people that attacked us. I couldn't even sleep a wink every night because of you. Adding Medio Terrae to my list of problems, I might as well not sleep for a year." I ranted as I shoved socks into the pockets of the suitcase.

"This isn't like you to run away." said Daemon.

"Well, I'm not the girl you used to know." I replied bitterly.

Daemon placed a hand over mine

Daemon placed a hand over mine. "You don't have to run away. Although I don't know how you can stay at a dump like this," he said examining my room with disdain, "I've already placed protective runes around your apartment to prevent any enemies of mine from hurting you or your mother."

"So this includes Angelo." I assumed.

"Exactly, it's perfect to prevent any hormonal teenage boys from getting to you." he grinned.

"Well it didn't do an amazing job." I judged. Daemon tilted his head lost.

"It didn't get rid of you."

He placed a hand over his chest feigning hurt. "Ouch, that truly breaks my heart for you to think that, love."

I rolled my eyes. "If that's all you're here for, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave."

"Not until I teach you how to use runes." Daemon replied. I looked at him suspiciously. "Angelo wanted me to teach you how to protect yourself when the time comes."

"Um, okay..." I said hesitantly.

If Angelo wanted me to learn how to protect myself then I might as well accept Daemon's help. After all, there's no time to be picky about who could teach me to protect myself, even if it's from the man who wanted to harm me in the first place.

"Give me your hand," Daemon ordered softly.

"Runes can be created by blood of the person using it or simply drawn by the tip of the finger. Runes written in blood are much stronger than ones written simply by just your finger."

It reminded me of the mark Angelo taught me to write when we were in a hurry to leave the Nether Realm.

He proceeded to show me one rune that reminded me of a cross if it weren't for the sharp edges facing upward on three of its tips. "This is a safety rune. It will protect you from anyone you fear or anyone who's a potential threat to you."

Daemon took my hand, and helped me trace the rune on the surface of my bed. Sparks radiated from when our hands touched. I pulled away after we finished drawing the rune together

"Are we the only ones who can use runes to protect ourselves?" I asked him as he began to teach me another rune.

"No. Long ago, humans used some of the runes to protect themselves from evil—"

"Like you?" I interrupted.

Daemon simply let out a throaty laugh. This one was different from the ones I've heard before. His laugh was genuine and natural as if he was just a regular guy having fun. My comment wasn't even funny, but still he laughed.

Daemon taught me one last rune. "This rune pierces the barrier between this world and the Empyrean Fields of the Nether Realm."

I remained silent while he finished teaching me this certain rune. I'm sure I won't be using this in the near future but it's okay.

I'm no longer afraid of Daemon. 

Hey guys! Please don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me for more updates! What do you guys think about how Celeste feels about Daemon? Let me know below :)

Xoxo,

Angelique <3