35: Truth, Justice & The American Way

Clark looked out of the window as the car zoomed past the Kent Farm sign, he was finally home.

                               "We're here", said Bruce as he packed the car in front of the house, he and Diana had opted to bring Clark down to Smallville where Martha and Lois had holed up during the Doomsday event.

Clark had barely reached the door when it suddenly opened and Lois burst out, enveloping Clark in a hug so tight he felt it even through his superstrength and all.

                                "I thought we lost you", she said, still hugging him.

                                  "I thought so myself", he replied, prying himself away enough to smile at her.

                                    "I'm so glad you returned home in one piece, Clark", Martha said as she walked out the door with a smile on her face before her eyes suddenly widened as she looked up to see Bruce.

                                  "Mr. Wayne", she gasped as if she couldn't quite believe it yet, "You're here".

                                   "Martha", he returned with a smile as he shook her hand, "I must say you did a good job raising a fine young man such as Clark". Diana introduced herself too to the group, exchanging handshakes and hugs with them.

                                  "Do you mind coming in for coffee, Bruce?", Clark asked.

                                  "I would love to but Diana and I have to be on our way, we have a long road ahead", he replied, "But I have a feeling that we will meet soon again".

                                  "Well, if you ever need a team-up, you know where to find me", Clark offered, going for another handshake.

                                   "The offer goes both ways", Bruce returned. He and Diana waved them all goodbye as they got back to the car and drove away.

Clark, Lois and Martha stood and watched the car even as it became no more than a part of the horizon, one thing was certain; that was definitely the beginning of so many meetings.

***

One month later...

Lex stared at the strange man staring back at him through the mirror. For one, this strange man has an overgrown hair and beard whereas Lex liked a clean-shaven face. Second, the man has bags under his eyes but Lex cherished a full night sleep. Third and most importantly, this strange man's in prison but Lex knows that's no place for a man like him. Unfortunately, this strange man looked everything like Alexander Luthor.

Lex snarled and the man in the mirror returned it with equal vigour. He knows he has little time before the guard comes again but he likes to take the time to detach from himself, he's Alexander Luthor the great and mighty, even if he was just a former billionaire who was in jail and had little chance to be free again.

Just then, the cell door slid open as the guard came in. "Today's paper", he said, throwing the newspaper on the bunk without a second glance at Lex, "As you requested. Remember light out in five".

Lex waited for the guard to leave before going on to check the newspaper. As usual, it's the Daily Planet and the day's major headline was titled 'Truth, Justice and the American way', with the picture of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman adorning the front page. A little picture of him too was there but it was of the cops leading him away in cuffs.

The news was in commemoration of the one month celebration of the help the trio had given in defeating Doomsday, calling them Earth's own number one defenders. The President announced that Superman was now an honorary US citizen and ordered all Kryptonites found and destroyed, with different governments of the world following suit. The city is still under repairs but Wayne Enterprises had made it a point to help rebuild Metropolis for free, courtesy of the generous billionaire Bruce Wayne. The only thing they said about Lex was he being one of the greatest psychopaths in history and the man who almost succeeded in destroying the world.

                             "Fools!", Lex shouted, throwing the paper in the corner to join the numerous ones with Superman's face on them, "All I wanted to do was help them".

Lex sat on his bunk, shaking with fury even as the lights went out.

                            "You may have won this battle, Son of Krypton", he said, pulling up his pillow to reveal a Kryptonite ring, "But the war is far from over".