Chapter Nineteen

Nina's POV

For the past hour I've sat and listened to Jaxon and Jason argue over who must've killed Elise. All their guesses were wrong, my gut was confirming to me they were wrong. Within that hour I received a call from Mya, Rilynn, and a couple other girls from my pack. So far none of them have found anything. No traces of Keiva, or Declan, who was the Beta from my father's pack.

"The obvious answer here is that it's whoever took Keiva." I rolled my eyes, here we go again.

Jason was growing more irritated, the longer Jaxon kept repeating the same accusation. "Exactly, that is the obvious answer. But that is why you have me. It wasn't whoever took the Beta." He was trying to get it through Jaxon's head that Declan wasn't the one who killed Elise. But even I had to agree with Jaxon, they were the only ones who would've gained anything out of it.

Then a thought struck. "They couldn't have been the ones to kill Elise." I said thoughtfully.

"Thank you!" Jason exclaimed as he threw his hands up in the air.

Jaxon turned to look at me, his expression was perplexed. "Who else would have killed her?"

I placed my head in my hands. That was the part I had a problem with. I had absolutely no idea who else would have hurt Elise. She never caused anyone trouble, nor did she ever get caught up in supernatural conflicts.

I sighed deeply trying to wrap my head around this. So far we have thought about rogues, an enemy witch, a distant family member, obviously Declan and the trackers. "I don't know. Like I said before Elise kept to herself. As far as I know she only communicated with my mother, myself, Dawn and Keiva."

"Who else knew about her?"

"My pack did but that's all." Then I started to ramble. "Elise lived in seclusion because of the war that happened years ago. It was a wonder that she even interacted with us, but my mother was very persuasive and persistent."

"That's it!" Jason exclaimed and grabbed both my attention as well as Jaxon's.

Jaxon looked just as confused as I did. He looked at me to see if I knew what Jason was excited about, but I shrugged my shoulders. The moment his eyes were on me, I felt myself wanting to move closer to him. With each passing day I could feel the mate bond growing stronger. The need to be around him was so strong that if I'm away from him for more than twenty minutes I get this aching feeling in my chest that increasingly got worse until he was within my sight.

I broke away from Jaxon's tempting gaze and looked back towards Jason. "What's it?"

"How did I not see this before? I mean it's so obvious! It was right there in front of my face the entire time and yet I missed it! Oh m-" Jason started pacing around the room, lost in his own rant.

"Jason!" His Alpha yelled.

He stopped pacing and looked towards Jaxon. "Oh right, right sorry. Isn't it obvious to you two?" Jason looked between Jaxon and I, we both shook our heads. We had no idea what he was talking about. "It was someone in Nina's pack."

"Excuse me?" I growled out at him. There was no way in hell that someone from my pack would've done something like this. How could he even think that? How dare he think that!

Beside me Jaxon was quiet, my narrowed gaze was fixed on his Beta. Jason hesitated as he took a step backwards putting some distance between himself and me. He saw the exchange that took place between Nathan and me in the conference earlier, he knew I had a bad temper and was taking precautions.

"Of course." Jaxon whispered from his spot next to me. I turned my body so I was facing him. "It has to be someone from your pack." He confirmed. His words fueled more rage to burn throughout my body. My wolf was oddly quiet, but I felt some mixed emotions coming off her as well.