Chapter Fourteen

**Edited 12/09/2016

Jaxon POV

"Do you have to be out again tonight?" Lyra asked me softly. For the past five nights I've been patrolling with Laura, one of the best warrior's in the pack.

I sighed, we've had the same conversation every night. "Lyra, you know I do."

She stayed quiet for a few minutes pretending she was watching T.V. I know was coming though, three...two...one..."But no rogues have been spotted since that one the day we went to the waterfall."

"Lyra, baby." I pull her close to me. "I know, but your safety is the most important thing to me. I just want to make sure that nothing is going on with these rogues. It won't be too much longer, I promise." Hopefully, I added in my head.

We need to make sure mate is safe, my wolf growls. Neither of us think the rogue incident was just a fluke.

And we will, I told him.

Lyra turns around to face me, her deep midnight eyes look so innocent. "I just want to sleep next to you..." She whispers.

Instantly I put my arms around her waist. I know she's been missing me, I feel it through our bond every night I leave her to go on patrol. "I know sweetheart. How about tomorrow morning when I get back we take a long nap together?"

She nods her head excitedly then turns her attention back to the T.V. Honestly, I'm not even sure what's on, I never pay attention. My mind always turns to Nina, it's been almost a week since Lyra took full control over their body. Jason, my Beta keeps reminding me how he doesn't think something was right with the situation. Never once has Lyra given me any reason to believe something is wrong. Every time Jason says something about it though I get a pang in my stomach. I try to push it away but I think the idea has somehow planted itself into the back of my mind.

"Keiva wants to know how much longer she should keep the patrol doubled." She tells me.

"What do you think?" I asked her back. It's her pack I don't have any say in what they do here. I was lucky they even allowed me to join the patrol team at night. It was hard to convince them I was doing this for my mates safety, as well as for the others in the pack. I had to point out multiple times that I know the scent of the rogue that crossed so it would be easier for me to catch if he tried to cross their border again. Finally the elders agreed it was a good idea. Some of the other pack members thought I was doubting their abilities to be strong enough to handle their own borders, that's not what I was doing at all. I just needed to make sure my mate was safe. I spent two months tracking her down and the time we did spend together after that she almost lost her life. How could I not be concerned about her safety? I almost lost her I wasn't going to take anymore chances.

Lyra thought for a few minutes. "I don't know. What do you think?"

"I think you should keep it doubled for a little while longer, a week at the minimum." I tell her.

"That's a good idea. I'll tell Keiva."

"Lyra," I started. "This is your pack, you're the Alpha. You make the decisions, I'm only giving you a suggestion. You can decide to keep the patrol doubled for however long you think is fit." I've noticed a few things over the past few days with Lyra. She wasn't an Alpha not in the traditional sense of the word. She had the Alpha blood but not the characteristics. Lyra was too timid, dependent, self-conscious, she asked me about everything, had me make all the decisions throughout our time together, even down to what we'd eat. Nina was strong, forceful, independent, and confident, she possessed all the making of an Alpha. The differences between the two were almost outstanding.