Cutter nodded while Precision signed something, most likely words of gratitude. Chase nodded back at the sniper.

''She didn't deserve to go out like that,'' Cutter muttered. He ran a hand over the sharp bristles of his hair.

Emily wanted to say something, but she couldn't get the words to come out. She'd never beem any good with this kind of stuff.

''You're right,'' Andre said. ''For the short time I knew her, she seemed like a decent woman.''

''She was a damn good pilot,'' Oscar said with a warm smile. ''That's for sure. Without her steering us into the snow the way she did, we'd all be dead.''

For a moment, everyone's spirits seemed to be lifted. It wouldn't last. Sirens wailed outside, followed by shouts from the mercenaries. They warned each other incoming Atlas agents. The dark mood that lingered over them like a storm cloud returned, almost like it never left.

Emily looked to Chase. ''What's the plan?'' He was their strategist. She'd never tell him to his face, but he was a decent leader. He always knew what to do and kept them all grounded. The team would've been a mess without him.

Chase and Victoria turned to each other. They stepped away from the group, speaking in hushed tones as they developed a plan. After a few moments, they returned to their squad.

''Okay, so here's what we're gonna do— ''

''Is this plan going to get us killed?'' Theo asked, his eyes darting around.

Victoria see-sawed her hand. ''Maybe.''

Theo paled. ''She's kidding right? Somebody tell me she's kidding.''

''We'll be fine. Probably,'' Chase said. ''Now, listen up.''

Once the plan was laid out, Victoria led them to the room where the soldiers hid their confiscated gear

Once the plan was laid out, Victoria led them to the room where the soldiers hid their confiscated gear. Emily's eyes lit up when she spotted her bow sitting atop a pile of unused assault rifles. She snatched it up, along with her quiver, and smiled.

The bow felt good in her hand, the cool metal soothing her clammy palms.

Emily slung her bag of specialty arrows over her shoulder. After the rest of the group retrieved their respective weapons and gear, they moved towards the exit of the room.

Victoria, who stood in the doorway, held up a fist as she scouted the hallway. Once it was safe, she motioned for them to follow. Surprisingly, the corridors weren't as busy as they were before. Emily chalked it down to the arrival of the Atlas agents; the mercenaries were probably on their way to combat the threat.

But a nagging feeling behind her navel suggested something else might've been at play.

''Where is everyone?'' Andre asked.

''Maybe they ran away.'' Theo's tone suggested that even he didn't believe that.

Victoria spearheaded the group, with Chase a few paces behind her. She held her rifle up, peering through the scope. ''Kane pulls men out of this sector all the time to help him out. We've probably got a few minutes before someone else comes back here.''