Chapter 8

ELYZA

"Ali," Elyza called after Alicia who was rummaging through medicine cabinets and drawers to find some clothes or a possible weapon.

"Don't call me that. Especially not after the whole A.I. thing that happened to us." She muttered as she sat down on a wooden dining chair in the kitchen while Elyza rummaged in the pantry for food. Elyza stuffed the Pop Tarts in her bag and leaned against the door frame.

"Come here then Clark." Elyza grinned at the irony in their names, a joke the universe seemed to love as she held Alicia in her arms. In the eighteen years that she's been in this life for, she can't recall being this happy. And what's even more fucked up is that they were in the apocalypse. "Now, listen to me. You are not dying on me alright, not this time. Not while I'm around. If you die, I'm coming with. You understand? We will be together until the end this time, no more responsibilities to our people. No more ALIE. Just my unconditional love for you."

"I love you too Lex." She smiled kissing Elyza softly before pulling away. It was nice to hear her say that, it was music to Elyza's ears. In their past life they never got to say I love you to each other and she was glad that she could finally hear her say it back to her.

"Come on, let's go. I think I spotted a gun store around the corner." Elyza grinned, biting her lip excitedly as they both ran like giddy schoolgirls on the playground towards Elyza's bike and rode off towards the store.

"I think you need this." Elyza held up a bulletproof vest as Alicia pocketed knives and stuffed guns and ammo into her rucksack.

"Fuck you Elyza." She chuckled as Elyza pounced on her grinning.

"Your wish is-" Elyza frowned as she was cut off by a loud static sound behind the counter. Garbled voices over the speaker could be heard. Elyza gave Alicia a look to stay put and went to go check out the radio behind the counter. Elyza's heart thumped in her chest as she heard it. Could it be possible? She'd spent months trying to locate it accurately. She'd heard of situations where people would hear messages about it from radios and the person speaking would lead them there.

"Hello? Are there any survivors out there? This is Isaiah speaking from Arkadia." Elyza knew that voice. She could recognise that voice anywhere. When she looked at Alicia she knew that they were both thinking the same thing. It was Jaha's voice. If Jaha was in this world, could it be possible that others from their past life were here too? Elyza brought the radio up on the counter and brought the receiver up to her lips.

"Hello?" She asked. "Jaha?"

"No, my name's Isaiah. I'm the Chancellor of Arkadia, a safe haven. We're looking for survivors, are you in a group?" His voice spoke through the intercom. Elyza was about to respond when she heard a familiar growling sound. Her heart stopped and she immediately stood by Alicia's side protectively. "Hello?"

Elyza picked up the radio and whispered into the radio, "We're a bit busy. Give us a few minutes mate." From then the radio went silent but when Elyza caught Alicia's smile she knew that she wasn't going to be. "Don't Alicia."

"Mate..." She chuckled as the growling sound became closer and soon the sound double and they could hear more and more surrounding them. They could see the path to the bike was still clear and decided to tale their chances. After Elyza grabbed her duffel bag full of new weapons and shoved the radio in the bag before slinging it over her shoulder. She grabbed Alicia's hand and pulled her as the undead began to emerge from the back door of the store. The stench of rotting flesh was so strong they could smell it from outside the shop.

Elyza tried to start the engine but it kept on stopping. Alicia began to struggle as she kept shooting at the undead. "Start driving already!" Alicia yelled frustrated over the gun shots and the engine sputtering. "Shit!" Alicia cursed as her bullets ran out. One of them would've caught her arm if Elyza hadn't of shot it in the head.

Elyza handed her the gun before making one more attempt at the engine. "Alicia we need to run." She told her as they both got off the bike and began heading towards their home.

"We need to find somewhere to rest." Elyza suggested as Alicia ignored her and kept walking. "Alicia." She tried again but got nothing but the hurt that she felt inside when Alicia had ignored her once again. "Alicia I'm talking-" Elyza grabbed Alicia's arm in an attempt to grab her attention but had it shoved away harshly and was met by a harsh glare.

"I heard you the first time." Alicia responded sternly. Elyza shrunk slightly and took a step back when she heard her tone. She was hurt that Alicia was mad at her but she could feel her anger begin to bubble up inside her. She didn't do anything right? It wasn't her fault that the bike wouldn't start or that they were four miles away from home.

"Look, I'm just suggesting that we rest for the night instead of just wasting our energy walking four miles." She defended herself stepping closer to Alicia.

"No, we gotta get home! They probably think we're dead and I-I don't want that!" Alicia yelled as her beautiful green eyes filled with tears. Elyza felt all the anger she had wash away as she put her arms around her girlfriend and hugged her, rubbing her back to comfort her.

"We'll get home, I promise you. You'll see your mom and Travis, all of them. I promise." She muttered softly as Alicia cried into her shoulder. It hurt her to see her hurt. The anger in her was replaced by an aching feeling. Like someone had stabbed a knife in her chest and left it there.

"I just wanna go home Elyza." Alicia mumbled as she pulled away and wiped her tears away. Elyza kissed the top of her nose gaining a smile from the other girl. She swore she could see that smile while she was being thrown into a hoarder of the undead and would still be the happiest person alive.

"I'll bring you home, but for now you need to rest. I'm going to try and find a car that works." She smiled kissing Alicia's lips softly. She shrugged off her leather jacket and wrapped it around the other girl's shoulders before leaving her to sleep on the backseat of a nearby Nissan Micra. She scouted the five cars on the block and picked out the car with the most fuel in the tank which turned out to be a Volkswagen parked in a Towing Zone. She popped the hood and almost started dancing when she realised the car was fine. That's one thing that went right for her today.

She began to hotwire the car and drove up to the Nissan Alicia was in and contemplated on waking her up or not. She smiled and how peaceful she looked in her sleep. She wondered about what dreams she was having and if she was in it. She pulled her out gently and carried her into the backseat of the Volkswagen before placing the jacket over her torso.

Elyza Lex, the badass Aussie, drag racer and knife collector having a soft spot for Alicia Clark, the adorable American who has a diary and probably collected teddy bears. If someone had told her that she had a soul mate who was the complete opposite of her a year ago she'd probably slap them silly. She couldn't break her habit of glancing at Alicia in the rear view mirror as she admired every curve and feature of her.

She was truly and madly in love with her, and that's not just the Clarke and Lexa memories talking. She was sure that even without those memories she would still fall for her. Even without all the soul mate crap she would still fall for her.

As she finally parked the car by the Range Rover at dawn she carried Alicia up to her room and tucked them both into bed where they were both safe and sound.