Chapter Four - 'Weeping Sow and Wounded Pride'

When he woke in the morning, Captain Rose had a great big smile planted on his face.

Everything was ready. He and the trusted officers would hunt for pigs, serving them to the people of Reliance that night at the bonfire. The people were not yet aware of these plans. Captain Rose hoped that if he kept it until the last moment and surprised everyone, their acceptance of him would come naturally in a moment of shock and overwhelming joy.

Captain Rose wanted as many pigs as possible, and so he set about gathering all the men early on.

Most of the men were already awake, making the Captain’s job much easier. There were only two missing; Donald and Mark.

“Where’s Donald?” the Captain half-asked, half-ordered.

“Dunno, haven’t seen him all morning” one of the men said with a mouth full of berries

“I see. Mark?”

“Same thing. Nobody seen him since last night”

“Someone go check their shelters” the Captain ordered.

“Already have. He ain’t there, Captain”

This was a problem. Donald wasn’t too much of an issue, but Mark was the one who knew where the pigs were, which made him valuable.

“Does anyone know where Mark was sent to scout yesterday? Where he saw the pigs?”

“I have a fair idea” one of the men said. “I can lead the way”

“Lead the way, then” the Captain responded

“But Cap’n, we’re still eating!” the man cried

The Captain said nothing, just stared at the man with a look of repressed fury. The man understood what needed to be done, and said “Come on boys, let’s go hunting” before getting up and leading the expedition into the jungle.

The men would not return until the sun had begun its descent into the sea.

*

During that morning, Peter had wandered aimlessly around, not sure what to do with his time.

He eventually decided to take a short stroll through the jungle and see what there was to see. It was a very beautiful and green area they were in, despite the mud. He wanted to get a good look because there were rumours saying that William had found a nice little valley for them, and they would be moving out tomorrow.

Peter’s thoughts were interrupted by yelling in the distance

“Let go of me!”

Peter began running to see what was happening. Once he reached the source of the sound, he saw that one the officers was forcing himself onto a black woman.

He had an arm wrapped around her, holding her in while the other arm appeared to be making it’s way up her dress.

“Officer!” Peter yelled. “Explain yourself”

At first the man appeared frightened, but once he identified Peter he let out a cackle.

“Taking what’s mine, mate”

“That woman is not an object, mate” he said mockingly. “She is a human being, and deserves to be treated like one”

“Human being, my arse!” the man spat with distaste, “this thing has no rights and belongs to no one, which means it’s up for grabs”

Peter drew his sword in fury.

“You’ll release her this minute!” he yelled

The man saw the sword and threw the woman to the ground.