Thirty-Two

DISCLAIMER: - see previous chapter -

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XXXII.

Omnipresent POV
MAINE WAS CHEWING on the cap of her pen while anxiously tapping her fingers on the wrist-rest of her keyboard. Her workload wasn't heavy today since Ike said he was leaving early to start off his weekend earlier than usual. He asked her if she wanted to join him and his friend in Palawan for the weekend, but Maine declined claiming she made plans with Jules this weekend.

She lied of course.

She and Jules didn't make any plans whatsoever for this weekend. In fact, she made no plans with anybody at all for this weekend. Her mind was a complete jumbled mess at the moment, especially after what happened earlier in the elevator.

Wally didn't look pleased when he yanked Alden out of the elevator and told her to go back to her floor. She hadn't heard anything from either Wally or Alden and now she was being eaten by curiosity wanting to know what happened after they parted company.

"Mukhang malalim ang iniisip mo ah."

Maine jumped when she heard Jules' voice jarring her out of her thoughts. She stopped her fingers incessant tapping and pulled the pen cap from her mouth.

"What are you doing here?"

Jules raised a brow at her friend's rhetorical question. She hitched her hip on the edge of the table and met Maine's gaze.

"You know why I'm here, Maine."

Maine had a gut-feel that she knew why Jules was up here instead of doing her job a couple of floors down. She heard the rumor about her and Alden caught kissing in the elevator.

"No comment," Maine replied without bothering to guess why her friend was here to see her.

"Oh come on, Maine!" Jules jumped off where she was perched and braced her hands on Maine's desk. Leaning closer she dropped her voice when she spoke again. "Is there really an ounce of truth doon sa mga kumalat na rumors last week about you two? I mean, wala nga ako kanina to witness the elevator suck-fest, pero merong mga kumalat na pictures before Wally blocked everyone's view and they dispersed."

Maine's pallor paled at the mention of 'pictures'.

"How many pictures?" she asked.

"Not really sure," Jules shrugged and straightened up. "I saw at least a couple floating about. Actually, they were being sent around via text. I think Alden was accidentally sent one and OMG, girl, he flipped like you wouldn't believe."

Maine could only imagine Alden's reaction to said picture. Now she'd feel better if him flipping out like that was because he was worried for her, but then again he hated being the topic of everyone's gossip at work so him flipping out was more for his sake than hers.

"I don't blame him," Maine muttered. "Anyway, it will soon die down so let's not make a big deal about it."

"As if ganoon kadaling ibaon sa limot yung nangyari kanina," Jules scoffed.

Maine made a face at her friend but chose not to reply. She was still waiting for the other shoe to drop. It was just a matter of time before she receive a call from her godfather demanding he see her.

#     #     #     #     #

OKAY LANG BA TALAGA KAYO NUNG GIRLFRIEND MO?" a concerned Barb asked Alden after lunch. She stopped by his cubicle to drop off some proofs and decided to stick her nose to his business.

"Oo naman," sagot ni Alden and smiled his thanks when he grabbed the proofs she just dropped off.

"Sigurado ka? Kasi grabe ang chismis na kumakalat ngayon. And take note, nasama pa ako sa intriga!"

Alden winced at the reminder. He gave her an apologetic smile. He didn't mean to drag her into this mess. It was stupid of him to involve anybody else but him, but he was hurting and upset after catching Maine with Ike, the very person she told him she wouldn't be caught dead dating again, and yet Friday night he saw Ike picking Maine up at her place and actually went to dinner.

"Don't worry about that. Magsasawa din sila."

"I hope so. Anyway, I really hope you and your girlfriend are okay, but then again you guys literally kissed and made-up already based on what everyone witnessed kanina when the elevator doors opened," Barb chuckled as she remembered that incident this morning.

Alden winced again at the reminder of that incident in the elevator. He was still reeling from shock at what happened. He would've enjoyed the feeling of finally kissing Maine after dreaming about doing so all these years, pero basag trip si Wally and yung sermon na inabot niya after he was told to go directly to his office without stopping by his cubicle.

"Thanks," was all Alden could manage to say.

Barb didn't linger long after that.

Alden was thankful to be left alone once again. He glanced at his computer's clock and groaned when he saw the digital numbers indicate it wasn't even eleven o'clock yet. How he'd kill to be on an outcall with a client right now discussing possible advertising projects away from the office. Instead he delve right back in to work and took his time perusing each and every proof currently stacked up on his desk.

#     #     #     #     #

MAINE WAS GETTING READY TO LEAVE for the day since Ike gave her the rest of the day off to start her weekend early when she received a text from the last person she expected to hear from today.

"Lunch tayo. I'll wait for you sa parkade."

Maine stared at Alden's text. Since it was sent via text she wasn't sure if he actually sounded as candid as the text he sent or if he was seething with pent-up anger still.

"Libre mo?"

Alden text back right away. "It's your turn to buy me lunch."

Maine cocked a brow at his reply. They always take turn paying for lunch, and last time they went for lunch he paid for their meal.

"Does this mean bati na tayo?" Maine took a chance by sending him that text message. Bago siya pumayag na sumama kay Alden for lunch gusto niya munang malaman kung maga-away lang sila or truce na sila.

Alden didn't text right away. Maine waited as the seconds ticked by to a full minute. She almost gave up when his text reply appeared on her screen.

"Lunch + talk = answer depends on result."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =  

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thanks for liking, enjoying & voting for this story thus far. I know updates takes a while, and sometimes chapters are shorter, but suffice to say I haven't abandoned this story yet so wooHoo! Also, I need your help 'coz I entered this story to this year's Wattys Award and also for the Jollibee Wattys. I need your votes so I can hopefully place for the latter. You can vote online via SMS (PHP2.50/text) at http://kwentongjollibee.mywebsite.net.ph (if link not working just copy & paste it). Thanks & enjoy this latest chapter update!