Twenty-Nine

DISCLAIMER: - see previous chapter -

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Although the answer was a pretty obvious one, still I was looking for something a little out of the box, which was what florbl_0326 provided. Hope you all still enjoy this chapter and keep showing your love and support by voting and commenting too.

==========================
XXIX.

Omnipresent POV
ALDEN LOOKED AT HIS COMPANION AFTER HE PARKED his car in their usual parking spot before turning the engine off.

"Ready?"

Maine flipped the sun visor down to check her make-up on the mini mirror hidden behind it before closing it and turned to look at her companion.

"It's show time," she grinned.

Alden laughed still not believing what they were about to pull off and got out of the car and quickly rounded it to open Maine's door for her. It was all part of their charade just in case somebody sees them down here in the parkade; that would help spread the rumour that something's changed between the two of them after this Valentines weekend.

"Do you think us walking in with linked arms would be a bit too much?" Maine whispered as she leaned closer so only Alden could hear her.

Alden considered her suggestion.

"Better save it for some other time. Baka overkill na if we do it," sagot niya.

"Good call," Maine grinned and walked ahead of him towards the elevator.

They spent majority of Sunday afternoon working out the kinks of this operation if they wanted to succeed. Maine wanted Ike to know that there was no way she was getting back together with him, and if he was indeed serious when he told Pao that he will get her back by hook or by crook, well her ex-boyfriend had another think coming.

By lunch time at least three different rumors spread around the office like wildfire. All three were about the obvious closeness and some speculated sweetness between Maine and Alden that was witnessed when Alden went out of his way earlier today at the parkade when he opened Maine's door for her before she got out of the car; it wasn't a rare occurrence to see the two car pool to work, but this morning was the first time Alden went out of his way to open and hold the door open while Maine stepped out of his car. Witnesses also commented on the extra sugary sweet lingering looks the two often shared, not to mention the smile on Maine's face that she gave Alden when he held the door open for her.

A second rumor started when Alden walked Maine all the way to her desk instead of getting off at his floor as per usual while Maine continued on to hers. This morning, however, Alden skipped getting off his floor at inihatid si Maine sa desk niya mismo; merong mga nakakitang nagsabi hindi raw agad-agad umalis si Alden pagkatapos ihatid si Maine. Again that wasn't the usual routine for them and that slight change in their morning routine caused a few people to speculate on what happened over the weekend especially since the third rumor had something to do with somebody seeing both Maine and Alden having a cozy and romantic dinner last Friday night.

"Okay, I give up," Jules cornered Alden in his cubicle at around three-thirty in the afternoon after she has had it hearing three different rumors going on at the same time since this morning. "What the hell happened over the weekend and somehow you and Maine became today's most talked about couple dito sa opisina?" she questioned.

Alden took his time from looking away from his screen to address his unexpected visitor. He was aware of the rumors that started as soon as he and Maine stepped out of his vehicle this morning. They expected tongues to wag the moment they showed the slightest bit of sweetness between them, pero hindi nila akalain na maraming makakating dila ang merong kanya-kanyang haka-haka about the sudden change in their relationship.