<------ Chapter Nineteen ------>

The sound of multiple pairs of pawsteps pattering against the floor made Hero look up abruptly. His gaze was greeted by the sight of Thistlestar leading the way towards them, Sunshine a step away from overtaking her and Whiteshadow trailing behind them on the Clan leader's other side.

   Thistlestar's expression was unreadable, whilst Sunshine's face held a note of triumph, along with relief, as if he was glad of something's settlement, immediately telling Hero that they had reached an agreement.

"I have decided that the promise our first leader made is, indeed, real. We will honor that promise in respect of Ashstar, and join the East Faction in fighting the other Factions," the AshClan leader began, sweeping her sharp green gaze through the group.

   Hero noticed Sunshine's ears twitch annoyedly as Thistlestar continued, and he assumed that this was one of the points that they had argued over. "If the battle appears to become hopeless, and we would achieve nothing other than losing more cats by continuing to fight, AshClan—and the other Clans, if they choose to join us— have the right to withdraw from the battle, but only upon mine or another Clan leader's command. I won't have my cats turning tail and running like cowards."

   Hero could see why this agreement would have been difficult to come to. On one side, the Factions had no way of knowing whether the Clans would simply retreat as soon as the fight turned dangerous. On the other paw, Thistlestar couldn't squander the lives of countless Clan cats merely so that they could die as a united front with the East Faction cats, especially since it didn't directly benefit the Clan.

   "With your approval, we would like you to join our allies in the West Faction, where we think you will be the most useful. You needn't travel all the way to the West Faction, just to the train tracks for planning, and then the battle itself. Does that suit you, Thistlestar?" Sunshine asked.

   The Clan leader glanced at her Clanmates, taking in their encouraging looks before nodding sharply at Sunshine. "It does."

   "Excellent! I understand you have a fair trek back to your camp, and, despite the many preparations that I'm sure you need to make, we would be happy to house you for the night, though we are rather short on prey at the moment."

   Thistlestar cast a quick glance back at Whiteshadow before responding, and Hero knew what she was thinking: she wanted her son home and out of the city as soon as possible. "Thank you for the generous offer, but we should be able to make it back before nightfall. We wouldn't want to waste a second of time for preparation tomorrow anyways."

   "As you wish," Sunshine replied, dipping his head. "I'll have a few of my cats escort you to the edges of Faction territory." 

   "We'll get going then," Thistlestar began, and she held the other leader's gaze for a second.

   Sunshine pulled himself up to his full height, gazing down on them, his yellow eyes taking in the entire group of AshClan cats. "Farewell, then, and I hope we shall be able to meet once more under less arduous circumstances." The moment of solemnity swelled in the air for a while longer before it abruptly burst and the black tom turned to his fellow Faction cats. "Zero? Bravo?"

   The cats who'd been called out rose to their paws silently, stepping forwards. Zero hung back, and Bravo came forwards to lead the way, stopping a few pawsteps away from the nearest Clan cat.  The AshClan cats stirred too, those of them who'd sat rising and turning towards Bravo. The small black tom took a few more steps forwards, glancing back at the cats. 

   Hero stepped forwards, and the other cats seemed to make way for them. He was once again reminded that they'd come to think of him as a leader during the quest. The one who'd showed them the way.