<------ Chapter Five ------>

Day turned to night, night turned to day, and a moon had soon passed since Hero had become part of AshClan. His wounds had mostly healed, and his fur had grown back over the patched areas in his pelt. Much had transpired since the day he'd met Whiteshadow in the field, and since then, he'd begun to adapt to the Clan life; albeit with a bit of trouble. 

While he had no trouble learning the rules and techniques of his new life, Hero was plagued by memories of his old one. He often though of his twoleg owner with fond remembrance, and felt an aching in his heart every time he did. But he pushed past his wistfulness, and even Thistlestar acknowledge his constant effort and determination.

Besides, Hero found Clan life to be quite fun. The group of cats followed a single set of rules, something that Hero had not often experienced in the city. Foxspring had tried to give him trouble occasionally, but a glare from Whiteshadow threw off every attempt; as well as saving him from a swift kick in the ribs from Hero. With every new obstacle, Whiteshadow was there by his side, ready to crack a joke or leap to his defense. Hero couldn't imagine what his new life would have been like if Whiteshadow hadn't taken him under his wing, and he found that he didn't much want to.

These were the thoughts that ran through Hero's head as he lay awake in his nest in the Warrior's den, listening to the soft inhale and exhale of the cats around him. Slatefur, one of the Clan's more senior Warriors, had been Hero's mentor for a short time when he had joined the Clan. Hero had learned quickly, and now he often stayed up late to review the reads he'd taken on his other clanmates. 

Russetfire, the Deputy, wasn't much for fun and games. Based on the way she took control of much more than she knew she could handle, and what he'd picked up from Clan gossip, Hero soon found that she had been the mate of the previous deputy; until he was killed and she took his place.

Blossompath, a Clan elder, was a particularly interesting subject. She often told stories of epic tales, raging battles, and great Expeditions. Hero soon discovered that he was the only one who noticed that she'd been the gallant hero in most of her own tales, though she was too humble to reveal her triumph.

Hero was easily able to distinguish the characteristics of many cats in the Clans. But time and again, when he gazed upon Whiteshadow, he could tell nothing. He grinned and joked, and he performed every given task with practiced ease. Everyone loved Whiteshadow, simply because he was nothing but lovable. This is why it came as a surprise when that same night, Whiteshadow woke up suddenly, staring around the den in confusion.

"Whiteshadow?" Hero murmured quietly, at first smiling faintly as he stayed curled up in his nest, waiting for the tom to joke lightheartedly and go back to sleep. But no such response came, and Hero groaned as he turned to gaze upon the black and white tom. Whiteshadow's yellowish eyes met his green ones for a long moment, and then his whisker twitched in uncertainty. Frowning, Whiteshadow sank back into the nest, and Hero stared for another moment in concern, though not another word was spoken. 

The sun rose the next morning, along with the foggy chill of Leaf-fall. One by one, cats emerged from their den, where Russetfire already sat on a low-hanging branch of the Oak, yowling orders to the dazed Warriors and Apprentices. Greykit and Stormkit bounded past Hero's paws, offering a cheery hello before racing towards the fresh-kill pile. Dawnheart smiled warmly in his direction from the Nursery, which Hero gladly returned before padding in the direction of the Great Oak's enormous trunk.

"Morning, Hero!" Nightwhisper chirped, and Hero mumbled a distracted response.

Many more greetings were uttered by the time Hero reached Russetfire, who glared at him in disdain. Despite his aloofness, Hero smiled in amusement. "You're late." Russetfire hissed.