<------ Chapter Sixteen ------>

"What do we do now?"

The first time the question was asked, Hero had elected to ignore it, and though few words were exchanged as the group of cats started away from Haven after a brief farewell to Estelle and Ray, the inquiry continued to plague the minds of the cats who followed in Hero's paw steps.

"Hero," Lilypool began gently, matching his crestfallen pace to walk next to him, "we need to talk about what to do next-"

"I've already made that decision," Hero interrupted, without turning to look at her. "I'm taking you all back to the Clans."

"Taking us back to the Clans," Lilypool repeated, the corner of her mouth twitching into a frown as she seemed to pick up on his meaning, "You're not going to come back."

Hero exhaled; he should have expected Lilypool to pick up on his decision. "I can't live like that," He began to explain, and though he suspected she already understood his point, he continued to clarify, "It was fine for a month, being in the Clans, and I thought tedious Warrior duties would be enough to keep me busy. Turns out it wasn't. Ever since I woke up with these abilities, I can't stop recklessly investigating every mystery I come across. I can't stop thinking any more than I can stop breathing."

Lilypool nodded in understanding, and Hero watched her gaze drift to the ever-ticking watch fastened over the slightly matted fur on his neck. "Ironic, isn't it? Wearing something to remind you that time is constantly moving, and that you've got to move with it," she murmured, and Hero smiled in amusement at her remark. "So you're going to stay here, in the city. You're going to accept Bling's offer."

Hero decided not to interrogate her on how she knew about him and Bling's previous allegiance, and instead continued to issue a reply. "I don't know yet," he admitted, "but I failed the one mission Thistlestar gave me, and I know I can never be happy in the Clans, so I don't see much of a point."

Lilypool smiled faintly, though it appeared to be out of empathy rather than sympathy. "Hero, there's something I want to-"

"Hero! Lilypool!" Snowpaw suddenly cried, and Hero whirled around towards the sound of the apprentice's voice.

Without their noticing, several cats had materialized from seemingly nowhere behind the group, and it took approximately two seconds for Hero to recognize Tags near the head of the group. Without missing a beat, Tags had stepped between Snowpaw and the group of cats, laying her unsheathed claws against Snowpaw's throat. The apprentice trembled, and he struggled to keep his composure, as the overwhelmingly pungent scent of East District cats overpowered Hero's senses.

"Let him go before I tear out your throat!" Swiftpaw threatened, shaking with anger as the hair along her back began to bristle.

"Not before I rough him up a bit," Tags snarled menacingly, though Swiftpaw didn't so much as flinch at her venomous tone.

Smokewhisker attempted to step towards the spotted she-cat, but Thug immediately stepped in front of him, growling a warning.

"You're not talkin' your way out of this one, Timekeeper," jeered the fluffy white tom who'd padded past Hero's flank, though he didn't make a move for fear of endangering Snowpaw.

Tags, Thug, Zero, Bravo, and at least four other cats milling about in the shadows. Hero's team was outnumbered, injured, and exhausted. They couldn't fight back without getting themselves killed. "What do you want?" Hero hissed, instinctively stepping in front of Swiftpaw and the rest of the group.

"Honestly?" Tags laughed, locking Hero in her gaze, "I want you dead. But our Sunshine's got other plans."

"Which we aren't privy to," Bravo added, and Zero cuffed him over the head with one of his paws.