<------Chapter Seventeen------>

"We will leave you here," Thugs said as the group of cats reached the edge of the plains. Hero couldn't believe how far they had come, or that they were returning home without Whiteshadow. He shook that thought away. They weren't abandoning Whiteshadow permanently, they were just pausing in their search to assist the East Faction cats.

"Thank you," Hero dipped his head to the two cats.

"It is we who should be thanking you," Tags said. "Please come as soon as you can."

"We will," Hero promised.

"Tell my brother that I love him, and that I'm sorry, but Faction life isn't for me," Roach said.

"Of course. We must return to the city now."

Hero dipped his head once more, and the two cats padded back towards the city. As the Clan cats turned to start their journey home, they couldn't help but pause.

"It feels so weird... Being so close to home," Snowpaw admitted.

"Well, I think it's great!" Swiftpaw exclaimed, bouncing ahead of the others. "Come on!"

As they padded across the territory, AshClan camp grew bigger and bigger on the horizon. All of the cats were moving quickly now, even Roach; their home was so close! They approached the camp, and as one, the cats stopped near the entrance. For a moment, no one said anything.

"So... I guess we go in?" Lilypool asked nervously.

"Right," Jayflight replied. But still, no cat moved. Finally, Hero took the lead and padded through the entrance, the others following him.

As they entered the camp, there was at first total silence; all of the cats were simply staring at the group in shock. All at once, they pressed forwards, asking questions and giving greetings.

"Where have you been?"

"Why did it take so long?"

"Where's Whiteshadow?"

"Who's the new cat?"

"How did you get injured?"

There wasn't time to answer any questions or focus on any one cat before Thistlestar's commanding new rang across the clearing.

"Hero, come to my den so that we can discuss your mission." Thistlestar's gaze was as cold as ice as it settled on Hero, and he knew why. He wound through the cats, finally making his way to Thistlestar's den.

"Where is my son?" Thistlestar wasted no time on cutting to the point.

"Well... We found him. But he refused to come back with us until he found his mystery cat."

Thistlestar seemed to swell to twice her size. "You think that's an excuse? Why didn't you stay and help him? Why didn't you drag him back?"

"We were going to," Hero could hear defensiveness creeping into his mew. "I was going to send the others back here to heal and rest, but we got captured by a group of East District cats. They took us to their leader, who wanted to request... Our help."

<——————>

After Hero had finished explaining the promise AshClan's original leader had made, he sat waiting for Thistlestar's response.

"You dare think that after these cats kept Whiteshadow from coming home, I would help them?"

"What? The Factions didn't cause Whiteshadow to do anything—"