“Oh yeah because if it was in the afternoon, we would be late to school.”

      “Really late.”

      We laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world.

      Oh God so awkward, I thought, getting out and closing the door. Dylan pulled off, and I smiled to myself. My first kiss.

    “My first kiss,” I said to myself. I checked to make sure Dylan was out of sight. When I saw that he was, I took off at an excited lope towards my house. “My first kiss!”

    I felt like a twelve year old.

    Smiling, I searched for the hiding spot where we usually kept our key. Our housekeepers and chefs didn’t work on Thursdays, so I was stuck. And our key was gone. I heaved my shoulders and called Juan. I could just chill over there until someone came back to my house. Daddy would be home around eight or nine. Only two or three more hours.

     “Hey, Juan, can I stay at your house? I don’t have keys to mines,” I said, searching through my backpack one more time for them. Despite my searching, they didn’t appear.

    “Of course. Blue should be home. If he doesn’t answer, then you know where the keys are.”

     Blue wasn’t home, but I didn’t say anything. Snitches get stitches. I shook the thought away from my head and hung up.

    Of all people, I would’ve never guessed my first kiss would be with Dylan. I wanted to call someone to tell them about it, but I couldn’t. Boys didn’t want to hear about this. And I didn’t have many girls friends that would keep it on the low. And Blue wasn’t even talking to me anyway.

   I didn’t dwell on the negatives, though. I analyzed the kiss. It was short and sweet, not overly romantic, but, hell, it was Dylan. We were both so awkward, I’m partly surprised the kiss went as well as it did. I wondered what kissing Blue would be like, but I had to push that our of my mind.

    What a little hussy. Kissing one boy and thinking of the other.

    I laughed at myself, hopping the fence to Juan’s house. I headed around the back door and searched for the key. It wasn’t under the mat where he usually kept it. And neither was it underneath the potted plant. I wrinkled my nose. Maybe Blue had moved it somewhere when he forgot his key. I checked to make sure the door was open—viola! It was!

    I kicked my shoes off and closed the door behind me, whistling the beat to Eminem’s Berzerk. “Grow your beard out; just weird out,” I sung.

   Steps made me jump. Maybe Blue was here after all, and his car was in the shop. We didn’t talk—

    “Blue, is that—“

    Both of us froze at the same time. I stared at the man who I had met a few days ago, the man who bore a slight resemblance to Blue. He looked surprised.

    I started to take off running and got as far as the back door before someone grabbed me. I screamed, but it was cut short by something being forced into my mouth. I struggled, kicking and swinging with every bit of energy I had until I felt something cold in the back of my head. “If you move again, I’ll kill you.”

    I stilled instantly, eyes widening. My heart took off in my chest, and I begged somebody to show up.

    The person holding me threw me down onto the sofa. I dug the stupid thing out of my mouth—it was one of Blue’s practice jerseys. I tossed it at them, trying my best to look as mean as I could, despite being a foot shooter, about 100 pounds lighter, and not holding any weapon.