Part 15 - The Attack

Start from the beginning

“That’s… cool.”

“But one thing they can’t help is… you probably want to see it yourself.” Mom says, getting a mirror out of her bag then gives it to me.

Without expecting anything, I look in the mirror and just, “oh.” While I’m touching my face with a few blue and red spots, the traces of last night incident. “Well, I guess I just tell them I’m having a kick boxing routine.”

Mom just looks at me, smiling, strokes my hair. “You’re gonna be good tomorrow.”

“How about Ellie, Mom?” I immediately remembered. One more day just left, is Ellie still going to die tomorrow?

Mom sighs and looks down. “I’m not sure, sweetheart. Medical center is still working on it in the lab. Let’s just hope they’d create the medicine on time.”

“She’s the only friend I have, Mom.” I finally say that, it makes Mom suddenly turns to me. “I know she’s a princess, but she’s more than a friend to me. You know what I’m struggling with all these months and finally I think I just… it’s just like I found the cure.”

“I’m so glad to hear that, Justin. Seriously.” Mom looks at me worriedly while stroking my head gently. “I promise you, we’ll try our best.”

“Justin!”

God, the voice I’ve been looking forward to listen. “Ellie!”

She runs over to me and hugs me tightly. I hug her back like we haven’t seen each other for years. “How are you feeling?” She immediately asks, worriedly.

“I’m really good as new, thanks.” I answer, smiling.

For a moment, I’m not really sure why I enjoy seeing her smile like that. That I don’t even realize I’m holding her hands immediately, until I notice Mom’s staring at me with a mocking smile face.

“The hell, Mom?”

Mom’s face suddenly turns to an angry face. Man, I realize I just cursed. But it just came out unconsciously!

“Sorry.” I look down ashamedly.

“Pattie, you don’t know how sorry I am about what happened to Justin.” Ellie suddenly said to my Mom, sounds guilty so much.

“El, I’m really fine, don’t worry about me?” I kind of pull her hand to look at me but she’s still looking sorry.

“Sweetheart, the only thing that matters right now is that you both survived. Last night was a total sudden we didn’t detect anything from the Wallace while it was happening.” Mom explained to her. “It was like we were suddenly shut because all of the connections were error.”

“Did they do that?” Ellie asks.

Mom looks unsure. “I don’t know, but it happened just like a coincidence.”

Ellie sighs slowly and looks down. It can be seen perfectly that she’s sad. I understand so much what she’s thinking about and I’m… feeling not good that I can’t help her enough.

“Ellie, we’ll try our best everything’s going to be just fine.” Mom says to Ellie, smiling at her like the way when she looks at me, his son.

After a moment, Ellie suddenly hugs her.

Mom looks worried, looking at me while stroking Ellie’s back. I just sigh, thinking how this case could be really on the edge of a failure.

 ***

I don’t wanna go back, to just being one half of the equation

Do you understand what I’m saying