Ivy

I slipped on my blue heels and hastily walked down the stairs out of my apartment. Today was session one with Patient 421 and session two with Jok- patient 0. I tried not to think too much as I walked to Arkham, my purse in one hand and briefcase in the other. I strode through the wooden doors and used my key to scan in. I kept my eyes straight ahead, careful not to make conversation with Bertha or any of the numerous doctors roaming the halls. I clicked the lock to my room and immediately set my things down. I opened my briefcase and smiled as I collected my motivational posters in my hands. I grabbed tape from my purse and stuck them around the room, which created a sea of pinks and reds and blues and yellows. Much better.

My nerves were already calmed at the sight of my office, now not as dull and dreary. I would add more later. I grabbed both of my patient's files and began to gaze over patient 421's information. Once again, this client had no known name other than 'Poison Ivy.' She claims to possess power over nature itself. This would be interesting.

At exactly 10:29am, I gathered my notepad and pen and made my way to the treatment room. I used my key once again to open the lock, sat down, and took a breath. Hopefully this session would go smoothly.

Almost immediately after sitting down, patient 421 strode inside, only accompanied by one guard. She was not restrained or in a wheelchair, but she had gloves over her hands and thick socks over her feet. She looked stunningly colorful as she sat down across from me and stroked her voluminous red hair. The ivy tattoos on her mint green skin seemed to be moving. The guard grunted a 'goodbye' to me, and lazily locked the door behind us. I began to speak.

"Hello, Patient 421. My name is Dr. Harleen Quinzel, and I have been assigned by Dr. Jenson to your case, case number 7210. By law, anything you say to me will be confidential unless it violates your safety or the safety of others, in which case I will be forced to take the necessary precautions. Understand?"

"Absolutely, hun."

Her voice sounded like a song, melodic and slow. She never sat fully still, her hands and her head moved as if she was involved in a constant dance with the air and the wind as her partner. I took notes on her mannerisms and inflection of tone.

"I informed you my name is Dr. Quinzel, and you will refer to me as such. Now, let's begin at the beginning, okay? Do you have a real name?"

"Call me Ivy."

"Can I assume that's just an alias?"

"Assume whatever you'd like, doll."

"Dr. Quinzel."

"Can I assume that's just YOUR alias?"

She completely caught me off guard as I stuttered,

"Excuse me?"

Ivy smiled a sweet, innocent grin,

"You're many things, Harleen. A doctor is not one of them. I can see your energy, I can feel it. You have so much more potential; you weren't designed to be sitting in a grey office interviewing the criminally insane. It's not...in your destiny."

"So you see people's futures?"

"Not me, silly. The earth. She knows everything. And she speaks to me when she wishes to."

"So you hear voices in your head?"

"Not in my head. My blood. My bones. My skin. I feel her consume me."

"Did you dye your skin and tattoo your arms and legs to be closer to Her?"

"I was born this way."

"Ivy, no one is born that way. Why did you dye your skin?"

She sang a breathy laugh that caressed the air around me. Her voice was like every lullaby I've ever known. Soothing, despite the fact that she's killed so many.

"Not everyone is designed the same way, Harleen. We don't all have to look the same."

"So you honestly believe you were born with green skin and leaves tattooed on your body?"

"Do you honestly believe you are helping me in any way?"

I shot my head up from my note taking to give her a glare that showed my displeasure. I tried to burn a hole through the bridge of her nose with my eyes.

"Do you honestly believe you CAN be helped in any way?"

"I believe I don't need help, darling. I was thrown in here because I am different. They stunt my powers with these gloves. But the time will come when nature runs its course and I will be free again. And I believe you will be the one nature uses to restore order."

She ran her tongue against her teeth and smirked as I took a few more notes. Despite her unsettling responses, we continued for awhile and I held my ground; I showed no weaknesses. After being berated with nothing but sing-song responses about mother nature and destiny, I sighed and closed my notepad.

"Let's end the session here, Ivy. Have a good evening. And thank you for your time."

The last thing I hear is the guard shuffle back in, guide her out of the steel chair, and her laugh as the door slams behind me.