Chapter 10 | Mama Told Me

Chapter 10 |
Mama Told Me

Wally's POV

         After telling Sonya to wait in the living room for me, I turned and headed upstairs. The whole reason I even came to this house was for Sonya, I think my mom figured that out last night when I let it slip that Sonya was a ballerina. 

Of course, Susan was automatically suspicious. I never liked her, she was the reason my parents broke up. It was like all of a sudden she wasn't into to girls and then she was convincing my mom to leave my dad for her.

Who does that? 

Shaking the thoughts out of my head, I knocked on my mom's office door. "Come in." The tired voice of my mother was slightly muffled by the door. 

Slowly, I pushed open the door. My mother was sitting behind a large spruce desk, as usual her office was extremely organized. My mom was a large believer of the saying: everything has a place, so put it there. 

She looked up at me, a curious expression on her face while asking me. "What's up lil Flash*?" 

I cringed a little bit at the nickname my parents had given me as a toddler. I used to constantly run around, seemingly never running out of energy. It reminded me of all our good times, before things went Susan..

I mean sour. 

"Uh, I need a favor from you." I mumbled out, walking towards one of the seats adjacent to her. She didn't look surprised, I'm sure she had it all figured out when I slipped that Sonya was a ballerina. " I need you to write a letter to Sonya's dance school." 

She raised an eyebrow and shook her head, laughing slightly. "You always come here when you need something, and you know that I can't just do that." She shuffled some papers around before sighing, leaning black on her char slightly. "Why isn't she in the academy anymore?"

I scratched the back of my neck, wincing a little at the question. "She got suspended."

"Then you already know the answer." She gave me a disappointed look. "I understand you are living with them and you know I'm very open minded, but people like that are always trouble." She was whispering at this point, knowing that Sonya could possibly hear her. 

I glared. "It was someone like you." I spoke. "Someone like you, with the same mindset, told the teacher a lie saying that she was making derogatory comments about her skin." 

My mom began to look a it nervous, I smirked, good. "Of course the girl who lied was white, thus giving her more credibility." I continued, rolling my eyes at the words.

 It always made me mad when I thought about it. My mom thought just because she was rich and light skinned that she was considered better than darker black people, don't get me wrong, my mom wasn't a bad person, just very ignorant to the issues that concerned colorisim in the black community. 

My mom cringed before sighing, grabbing a piece of paper and began to write. I grinned, this was a success. 

After a couple of minutes, my mom looked up, she seemed distraught almost. "Here," She handed me the letter, I scanned it making sure that everything was in order. It was vague because neither of us knew many details. Looking up I heard my mom clearing her throat. "Wally, you're not, in any relation with her are you?" She mumbled, for some reason this seemed to be a large concern for her. I frowned, why? 

I didn't like Sonya in that way, for sure I found her attractive, how could I not? Her skin was flawless and her coke bottle figure was definitely a plus. On top of that she was a great person, albeit a bit too nice. She was practically perfect. 

I shook my head, before asking. "Why?" I wanted to know why she felt, intimidated by the idea of Sonya being my girlfriend. 

My mom seemed to breath a sigh of relief, "Okay, that's, okay." I was really confused, why was she so happy that I was single. 

She seemed to read the confusion on my face and spoke. "I just don't want you to taint, you kids with her skin color in their blood." 

With those words my anger flared. I couldn't even find the words to describe that stupidity, I just stood up and left. As much as I wanted to slam the door, I also didn't want to alarm Sonya. I walked back out to Sonya and told her lets go. 

***

The ride was awkward and quiet despite the music. I wasn't in the mood to talk and Sonya realized that, so she kept the conversation minimal. 

After the 3 hours it took to go home, we had finally arrived. 

Let's just say it wasn't a warm welcome, Mrs. Carter was pissed. She defiantly put her foot down and tightened the leash on us. Our freedom was limited but I can't blame her. 

Honestly, I had completely forgotten to tell her. My parents were always so busy that I never really had to ask for permission to leave. Sometimes I would leave for days and they never stressed. 

After Mrs. Carter explained our punishment, we followed her inside. Sonya went into her room, and I went into mine. It felt like a couple of hours that I had been laying in my bed, but in reality it was only a couple of minutes. The frustration of my moms words not leaving me. 

In that moment I decided that I was going to put my all in helping Sonya. Helping her embrace her skin and make every person who ever judged her because of it regret it. 

Let's do this. 

*(A/N: get it cause Wally West was the Flash? lool okay, continue) 

----------------

if im being honest i dont really like this chapter, i feel like it seemed rushed. any way i hope you enjoyed the sneak peak into wally's mind. leave a comment and a vote if you liked it. 

much love,
cece.