28.3

Sebastian cried out in pain as he pulled it from him, soaked in his blood. He fell to the ground, first on his knees, and then onto his chest. For a moment, he wasn't moving, and neither was I. I felt as if I had died with him. But when I saw his hand move ever so slightly, I came to life again, filled with rage.

"Serafin," I called over the burning barrier as the flames slowly died. "If you think that I will ever go with you after this, you're wrong!"

"What has he done to you?" he asked me. "Don't you realize what this filthy creature is!?"

"I do," I told him, clenching my hands into fists.

"Why would you ever want to be with a thing like him!?"

"Because I love him!" I screamed, making him stop completely and stare at me. "That's what love is—looking beyond imperfections and your own fears. If you don't understand, then you know nothing about love!"

"But, I do love you..." he said, looking down.

"No, you do not," I continued to glare at him as I stepped across where the fire once was, approaching him.

"You wretched demon..." he looked to Sebastian, snarling as he spoke. "You—you've done this to her! You've corrupted her! Once your existence is erased by my hand, I'll rid her of her memories of you!"

"You wouldn't dare!" I shouted, stopping between them. "I love Sebastian. Nothing will ever change that!"

"No, no, no!" he snarled. "Demons cannot love. This is... this a façade... all of it..."

"You're wrong," Sebastian said, picking himself up onto his hands and knees.

"How..." Serafin nearly whispered. "How are you getting up?"

"I... thought it was an illusion myself... for the longest time..." he slowly rose to his feet, his posture straightening. I stepped out of the way. "But now... I realize... a feeling like this... is powerful. Unshakable. As real as my own existence. And..." A black aura began radiating off of him as his eyes snapped open, showing his slit pupils and vibrant red irises. "You will not take her away from me!"

Suddenly, Sebastian had grabbed Serafin's shoulders, using the leverage and a mighty swing of his claw to rip an entire wing off. Serafin screamed and tried to throw him back, only to be pushed on the ground with a kick. Sebastian stood over him, glaring.

"This doesn't make sense," he said through his shaking. "You... you're weak... you're... no, no, no... she's supposed to be perfect. You're supposed to be dying. You can't... you can't..."

Sebastian stopped his words by stabbing him in the chest, crushing his heart. Blood covered his hand and flowed from the wound. He drew his last breathe, then his body vanished into gold-like dust.

UB+VL>3