Chapter 20: The Reunion

I had decided to walk around outside to make sure no more kittens had wondered out there, seeing the rain clouds building up overhead. It was thundering in the distance, and I knew it wouldn't be long before there was a storm. Unfortunately, it came a bit sooner than expected, and there was absolutely no prelude to the downpour.

I covered my head in order to see and began sprinting back to the manor, which was down a long aisle if trees. On my way, I saw a little grey blur dart beneath a bush for cover. I stared towards it, peaking under the shrubbery to find it hidden well up under it.

"Aw, kitty," I sighed, looking at the obstacle I would have to go through to retrieve it. "Come out, please?"

It was skittish, and just continued to back away from me.

I groaned and gave up, getting down on my hands and knees and crawling under the bush. Branches snagged my hair and the fresh mud seeped through my dress, cold on my skin. Eventually, I reached the kitten, and snatched it from its hiding place. It hissed at me.

"I'm in no mood for you," I groaned, backing out. I began carrying it back to the manor as it squirmed in my hold. "If you would just please calm down," I sighed. "I'm sorry, I'm mad, too. It's been a long day, alright?" It answered by scratching my arm. "Aw! Sebastian will have to teach you some manners!" I held it to my chest tightly so it couldn't do anymore damage as I marched through the door to find Sebastian standing right there.

"I was looking for... Why are you covered in mud?" he asked, his eyebrows raised in shock.

"Take your cat," I growled, handing him the soaking wet, dirty kitten, getting mud all over his coat. He appeared to be happy to see it, but cringed at the filth on him.

Without saying another word, I kicked off my shoes and walked away.

~~~~

I had had some time to calm down and wash my arms off a little, but my dress remained a mess. It was nearly night at that point, and dinner had just been served to the young master. While Bard was cleaning up in the kitchen, the final kitten appeared. I heard the ruckus from all the way down the hall.

XE*)>