20.2

The sight I saw upon entering the kitchen was absolutely chaotic. The trio was running about frantically attempting to seize tabby kitten. It scampered across shelves and under tables, weaving through cans and knocking bottles onto the floor. I gasped and went to join the chase immediately.

Finny desperately lunged for it as it ran for a place under the shelves, missing and nearly slamming his face onto the floor. Mey-Rin grabbed for it as it jumped from a chair to the table, but only knocked more stuff off. Bard tried to get up on a stool to catch it as it ran across an upper shelf, but he lost his balance and fell. I even took a few spills in consequence of some desperate dives.

Eventually, Bard caught it as it ran between his legs. He held the squirming kitten in his hand, getting scratched and bitten. Mey-Rin took it from him and wrapped it in her skirt, saying, "I've got it."

We all laughed with relief as she exited the room.

"That was exhausting," Finny said, throwing himself out on the counter and catching his breath.

"No rest yet, we gotta clean up," Bard told us, attempting to start on a corner. I began working, too, only to give up as soon as Mey-Rin came back and I realized it was absolutely hopeless.

The four of us looked out at the room.

"Man, this is a bad mess," Bard scratched his head. "There's really no use in saving any of it. How are we ever gonna fix it?"

"We've got a butler," I sighed, leaning up against a wall.

Bard looked at me for a moment, then said, "You're dirty."

I narrowed my eyes at him, grabbing handful of spilt flour from the counter beside me and tossing it at him. It hit his face with a puff. I laughed, "So are you."