Psychotic Episode

Start from the beginning

"Gi" Zayn gave her a small smile and reached for her hand which she took then looked at the doctor.

"It appears that Zayn has been reacting to not taking his medication . Some of the side effects of withdrawal make the patient's anxieties take on mammoth proportions. As you are no doubt aware, Zayn has always felt he let a good friend down badly. As Zayn is very sensitive, this has built up in Zayn's mind into a severe guilt complex where he considers himself responsible for everything that goes wrong in that persons life. Are you with me so far?" the doctor asked, eyebrow raised questioningly. Gigi nodded and waited for the doctor to continue."It would appear, from talking with Zayn this afternoon, that his subconscious has turned from  thoughts of this person into creating  a sort of virtual reality, for want of a better description."

"I don't understand. What do you mean he's created a virtual reality?" Gigi was totally bewildered.

"Niall Horan. He believed that Niall is dead and he's responsible because he couldn't save him" the doctor said simply and watched as  Zayn flinched when he said the name .

"Niall? Dead? No, he's fine. I spoke to him just a few hours ago. We're due over there later today." Gigi rubbed her forehead, totally bewildered as to where the doctor was going with this. And why did it concern Niall? "Look, just what is going on?" Gigi asked "What's this to do with Niall?"

"In simple terms, Mrs Malik, I believe Zayn is suffering a psychotic episode. Whatever triggered it, has your husband believing that Niall is dead and he's not coping with the guilt it is causing him." Gigi stared at the man with her mouth open.

"But I spoke to Niall only this morning. He was fine?" Gigi  reiterated  as she was now totally confused "And you say Zayn believes he's dead?"

"In a nutshell, yes. He believes that he's already seen Niall and found him dead" the doctor replied.

"And this...this psychotic episode...you called it..this is why Zayn's been behaving so strangely lately?" Gigi questioned and got a confirming nod from the doctor. "So what happens now?"

""I've prescribed a change of medication for your husband that will have almost immediate effect. He's already calming down since our session. I think we need to return to our weekly sessions again, it would perhaps prevent another episode. I further suggest that you monitor his medication again. Zayn starts feeling better then he convinces himself he doesn't need help of any kind" the doctor said, somewhat ruefully. 

"I don't know what to do. Should we go see Niall today?" Gigi asked hesitantly "Or would that make things worse?"

"If I remember correctly, Niall's wife is a medical doctor?" Gigi nodded " Then I would ring her, explain what's happened and then take Zayn  to see Niall. Seeing the reality and not his own 'virtual reality' should help". the doctor advised.

Gigi and the doctor continued to talk with Zayn gradually making the odd contribution. He seemed totally dazed and Gigi was doubting the wisdom of visiting the Horan family with Zayn in his current state but the doctor constantly reassured her it was the right thing. Finally, Gigi reluctantly agreed to trust what she was told and took a subdued Zayn's hand and led him out of the doctor's office and back to the car where she got him situated then strapped in for the journey back to their home.

"I'm going mad, aren't I?" Zayn suddenly whispered, sounding broken.

"No! No, babe. You're not going mad. You've not taken your medication and all the stress and strain you put yourself under just made you twist all the facts about Niall's health into a waking nightmare. You're not mad, just...well...stressed. You'll be fine, Niall will be fine" Gigi spoke comfortingly, her heart hurting for her sensitive husband. He gave her a half smile then turned his head to watch the passing scenery.

"Oh, the poor lamb" Jacey cooed when Gigi stopped speaking. "Yes, please do come. Niall's finished the song Zayn wanted. She listened as Gigi started speaking again. "No, no. It's not a problem, honestly. Ni is just taking a nap with Louis right now but come anytime, we can chat until the pair of them wake up."

"Come in Zayn" Jacey hugged him in welcome and ushered him inside. "Niall's napping in the lounge with Louis. Go straight through Gigi and I will have a girls 'catch up' while you guys talk.. Oh, he must be awake now" Jacey observed as little Louis toddled towards them , holding his hands up to his mother for a cuddle. Zayn ruffled his hair  the little lad's hair then headed towards the lounge. Niall was laying still on the couch, his arm dangling over the side and a faint smile on his face. Zayn gulped.He didn't care what the doctor or Gigi had told him. He knew the truth. He walked slowly towards the couch, his heart beating so loudly he thought it would break through his chest wall, sweat poured off his body.

"Nialler?" Zayn said softly, "Ni?" He tentatively  grabbed hold of Niall's hand and shook it .  Niall's hand felt cold to his touch . The doctor had been wrong, had tricked him. Zayn fell to his knees, hot tears falling onto a face whose bright blue eyes suddenly flew open.

"Zayn! What's wrong, you look terrible" Niall stared at his friend's distraught face. "Jacey" he yelled "Come quickly"

A/N I found I couldn't kill off my beautiful Niall after all.