There Won't Be A Fourth.

Niall threw down the pen and picked up his guitar to play what he'd written so far, Liam and Louis nodding in approval. "What'ya think?" Niall asked them both.

"Love it, the lads will love it too" Liam grinned at Niall . "It's sort of catchy , if you know what I mean."

"Think it needs tweaking?" Niall frowned as he studied his notes .

"Nay, mate" Louis said as he stood "it's perfect. Look I have to head out now. Freddie and I are going to watch 'Donny' play this afternoon."

"Couldn't you let the lad support a decent team" Liam asked cheekily and rapidly dodged out of the way as Louis went to clip his ear.

""Donny' are a decent team you tw*t" Louis grumbled making both Niall and Liam roar with laughter. "I'd better get going"

"Yeah, me too" Liam said as he stretched and rolled his shoulders, stiff from a mornings song writing. " I seriously need to hit the gym"

"Have fun, lads. I'm just going to tidy this song up a bit, maybe rework a few of the chords" Niall walked them to the door. "See 'ya both tomorrow." Niall stood in the doorway and waved to them both as they drove off. He was tired, he acknowledged to himself, really tired. He hadn't slept well the last few nights and his chest ached slightly. He'd probably pulled a muscle or two when he was playing with Louis. That little two year old had so much energy, he thought as he wandered back into the lounge and picked up his guitar to replay the song over and over again, adjusting a note here and there until it was perfect.

Niall finally lay down the guitar and wandered into the kitchen . Jacey was there, giving Louis his lunch. Niall grinned at the little boy who seemed to be wearing more food than he'd managed to consume.He even had food in his hair. Niall bent and kissed his son's sticky little cheek then went and wrapped his arms around Jacey, laying his head on her shoulder. He hummed in pleasure as she hugged him back, her hair tickling his neck softly. "Love you" he murmured as he finally released her and sat down at the kitchen table.

"Hungry, babe?" Jacey asked, looking at Niall who shook his head.

"Nah, I just need a drink" Jacey nodded and turned to make Niall a mug of tea, her forehead creased in a slight frown. Niall hadn't eaten much at breakfast that morning.He could no longer eat big amounts in one go due to all his stomach issues but had to eat small amounts every few hours. She sliced up a banana and a few strawberries as she waited for the water to boil and placed it in front of her husband. "Try and eat a little, Ni. You know you need to eat or you'll fade away". Niall smiled at her and picked up the spoon. He ate slowly. He really wasn't hungry but he knew how Jacey worried. G*d, he was tired, he thought finally finishing the fruit and taking a sip from the mug of tea Jacey had placed in front of him.

"Is the song finished?" Jacey asked as she sat next to him, her own mug of tea before her.

"Yeah, we finished it this morning. Took a while to get the chords exactly how I wanted them, but yeah. I hope he likes it" Niall sounded nervous.

"Angel, he'll adore it" Jacey said confidently. "You know he's really loved all your recent work"

"Yeah, but this is different, babe. Zayn left the band because he didn't like the vibe we had. His tastes were really more out there. This song is a real departure from his usual stuff. "

"But he seemed really taken with what he heard when you last spoke" Jacey said, rubbing Niall's shoulder. "And he's been really complimentary about everything you. Liam and Louis have written for others. I know he'll just love it"

"Maybe, hopefully, yeah" Niall grinned. "He's coming over later today to hear it"

"When did Zayn get here? I thought he'd not planned to come over from the States until next month" Jacey was immediately curious to know. "Are you excited to see him? "

"I'm looking forward to catching up with him again. Sykpe and  FaceTime, are all well enough but it doesn't beat seeing someone in the flesh. It's been too long since he was here" Niall admitted.

"Not since you came out of hospital. You had that fight at the Barbecue. You never did tell me what it was about" Jacey commented, still curious. "I mean, one moment the pair of you were laughing . next you were cussing him out."

"We sorted it. It's all good" Niall answered

"But you're not going to tell me?" Jacey persisted.

"Nope, so don't ask" Niall replied, leaning over to kiss Jacey to rob his words of any sting. Jacey sighed but knew the subject was closed.

"I'd better get Louis cleaned up. He needs a nap" Jacey stood and grabbed a package of wet wipes to clean the toddlers face and hands. "There, all done" she said, ruffling his hair gently.

"You gonna' nap with Dada?" Niall asked his little son as he unbuckled him from the high chair. The toddler gave Niall a toothy grin and wrapped his little arms around his Dada's neck. "I'll take that as a yes" Niall said and carried his son into the lounge where he stretched himself out on the couch, his son laying in his chest. Niall groaned slightly in discomfort as a sharp pain ran through his arm and chest. He mentally cursed himself for eating that fruit earlier when he hadn't felt like eating. It had given him severe indigestion, he groaned to himself. Louis wriggled closer into Niall's body which made Niall smile softly, his own eyes closing.

"Come in Zayn" Jacey hugged him in welcome and ushered him inside. "Niall's napping in the lounge with Louis. Go straight through. Oh, he must be awake now" Jacey observed as little Louis toddled towards them , holding his hands up to his mother for a cuddle. Zayn ruffled the little lad's hair then headed towards the lounge. Niall was laying still on the couch, his arm dangling over the side and a faint smile on his face.

"Nialler?" Zayn said softly, "Ni?" He grabbed hold of Niall's hand and went shake it . Then he knew. Three times he'd been able to keep his little 'brother' alive. There wasn't to be a fourth. Zayn fell to his knees, hot tears falling onto a face whose bright blue eyes would never open on this world again.