Number Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

“I’ve been terrible, haven’t I?”

“Very.”

But she couldn’t hate him. He had done ugly deeds, had caused deaths to her friends, but it wasn’t too late to correct it. Lives lost would never return, but those who survived could keep on living. They would rise above this hurdle. They would have to forgive him, because if they don’t, it would just become a cycle of death.

Maybe Falcon just needed someone to give him a second chance.

“I have a secret to tell you,” she said as she watched the gray in his eyes gradually fade into the blue of the summer skies. “Cecilia loved you, and until the end, believed in you.”

Falcon smiled.

“Thank you. . . and tell Krad I’m sorry.”

"Tell him yourself."

His eyes closed.

His eyes opened.

Blue.

Krad was back, but there was no room to rejoice. He writhed in pain as he coughed out more blood.

She squeezed his arm as she moved on to the next part of the plan. This was the riskiest part. Her heart would break if she ran out of time. If Krad ran out of time.

“Rael! Falcon’s gone! Where are you?”

Krad’s fingers caressed her tear-stained cheeks. Her heart clenched as a beautiful smile blossomed on her face. He’s back. He’s back and they would finally get their happily ever after.

However, just as his finger reached her lips, his hand fell. Krad went completely still.

“Rael! Rael!” she screamed into the earphones attached to her collar. She touched his pulse and it was nonexistent. “Hurry! He might not make it!”

Ivan had hacked the servers and linked all of them into his laptop. His fingers flew over the keys to disrupt the intelligence between organizations, inputting false intel in them so that their movements would be halted in the confusion.

It was like a strategic play station game. If he was classier, he would have offered chess, but nah. Unless it would be Harry Potter chess. Well, that was an all together different matter.

Only this was no game.

This was real life.

And he was moving around real people, who had no second lives if they were killed in action.

Arashi was guarding outside the room for any Light members that might appear. He had been squinting at the windows for some time now. “Ivan,” he called out. “Can you check into the satellites?”

“What? Why? I’m busy. I can’t spare – “

“There are flocks of birds flying.”

“Yeah? Well, I’ll be worried if fishes start walking.”

“Ivan!”

“What do you expect? We disturbed the forest. We are in a middle of battle and – “

Arashi’s voice became icy. “Not away from us, dimwit. They’re headed here. . . away from something.”

“What? Wait, let me just put down this server. . .”

Suddenly, everything blacked out. The screens, the monitors, the lights, everything.

The ground shook.