Chapter 9 (revised)

What is that noise? God make it stop, please. As I wake up and roll over I realized that it's my phone, so I pick it up and see that my sister Meghan is calling. I look over to see Austin still sleeping so I know it must still be pretty early. I try to ignore it but as soon as she hangs up she calls once more. Why couldn't I sleep through it like Austin has I think as I'm picking it up to answer.

"Hello."

"Good morning sunshine!" She says a little to happily for me this morning.

"Meghan, it's seven am on a Saturday morning, what could you possibly want?" I say looking over at the clock.

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out today?"

"That couldn't have waited until around ten or so."

"Stop being so grouchy and answer me already."

"Fine but I'm going back to sleep now. I'll call you back when I get up, bye." I say hanging up on her.

If you can't tell I'm not I morning person. I lay my phone back on the bedside table and roll towards Austin to go back to sleep. When I do I see him looking straight at me with a tired look on his face.

"Who was that calling this early?" He asks.

"My sister! Now can we go back to sleep? Please?!"

"Sounds good to me." Austin says pulling me to him. "Snuggle with me?!"

I do as he asks and we both fall back to sleep within minutes. When I wake up again I notice Austin is gone and jump out of bed hoping he has food cooked. Before I even reach the kitchen the smell of pancakes hits me and I take off running. I see Austin standing at the stove and without even looking he points to the bar and tells me to sit.

"What am I a dog?!" I say sarcastically. "Trust me you can probably train a dog faster than you ever could me."

"Oh how right you are." He says as he places some food on the plate in front of me. "You still going out with your sister today?"

"I was planning on it, why?"

"Just curious."

"You know what they say right?"

"No what?" He asks.

"Curiosity killed the cat." I say sticking my tongue out at him.

"HAHA!"

We sit there eating in silence, neither of us wanting to talk about what needs to be discussed. I know he is about to ask the question I have bee trying to avoid for the last week. Yep here it comes.

"Have you talked to him?" Austin asks. Ladies and gentlemen there it is.

"Nope." I answer.

"Are you okay?"

"I have no choice but to be, now do I?!" I say a little rougher than I meant to.

"Amelia this is me you're talking to. I know when you're lying and when you're hurting, so spill it."

"Austin what would you have me say, huh? That your best friend, who was suppose to be gone for two weeks has now been gone for a month and a half, and hasn't even bothered to contact me. I mean no calls, no emails, not even a text letting me know that he is still alive. The sad part is I know you've talked to him and you haven't even let me know how he's doing." I pause to take a breath. "After all the things he said to me, I thought this time could be different, but boy was I wrong. Shame on me for believing he actually cared for me. Look I gotta go, see you when I get back."