Chapter 20 Fourth date

On Thursday, Adam and I decided to take a road trip. I told him about a fun game we could play in the car that I had seen on some website a few years back. Basically, you drive around with your passenger telling you random directions until you get lost. Then, you use your maps to get back home.

Adam and I agreed to stay only on country roads because let's face it, they're more fun to drive, and they're the more scenic route. First, I told him that there was this road that I've always been curious of where it leads, so that's where we started. My mom had suggested that I try to get lost in Ashland to see if I actually know my way around better than I think.

Adam comes to my house to pick me up. He's the one driving because I'm the one telling him where to go. We agreed that next time he would be bossing me around.

So pulling out of my driveway, I tell Adam to go right. At the end of my road we go right again. We continue over a bridge and a couple hills before we reach a stop sign. Again, we turn right. Driving till we reach a big hill, we turn left and take the road that almost makes us do a U-turn. There was the road we were on, one that goes to the Mifflin Dairy Bar, (which is really good), and then there was this road connected to the other two roads at the top of the hill.

"Remind me why you want to drive this road again?" Adam asks.

"Because every time we went to get ice cream, I couldn't help but wonder where this road went," I answer.

"Ohh. You like hilly roads don't you?"

"Yeah kinda," I smile. "I also like the mystery of it."

"It won't be a mystery for long."

This road was really hilly. Well, it was more like two giant hills, but there were a number of small ones too before we hit a stop sign.

At the stop sign, we took a right. This road was not a country road, but we kept driving anyway. Up ahead was the highway. We pulled into a small drive on the right that said no trespassing on it.

"Did you want to cross the highway to that road over there? It's a country road," Adam states.

"Yeah I see that, but I don't want to cross the highway. We wouldn't be in our district anymore," I reason.

"Makes sense. Okay we'll turn around then and see where that takes us."

"Okay. I think I saw a road a ways back that we passed before we got here."

We back out and drive the way we came. Before we reach the road we came out on, there's a road on our right that we take.

We continued straight at the first stop sign, and again at the sign by the cemetery. When we ran out of road, we turned left. We drove this road for awhile until I realized where we were.

"Hey, that's the career center to our right! I do know where we are." A little further down the road and I said, "Take that road on the left; this is how we used to get to Walmart."

"This is how you drove to Walmart?" Adam asks.

"Yeah. If we wanted to go, we would have continued straight."

Adam did as I asked and turned left. We turned right at the following road and drove over 71, taking another left on the road right after the bridge. We went straight, left, right, and then left into my driveway.

We switched seats; this time I was driving. Adam told me to take a left out of my driveway. Right at the stop, and straight over 42. We drove to the end of the road, went straight, left, end of that road, left, right at the next road, and left at the end of that one. He told me to pull into the first driveway with a white mailbox.

"You took me to my grandma's house," I say with a hint of suspicion.

"Your mom told me how to get here."

"Of course she did. Trust me, you don't want to meet my grandma."

"I do too. Plus I kinda already met her once at the airport, remember?" he pauses for a moment. "Come on. There's cable," he says as an approach to coax me. "Well I'm going inside. I hear your grandpa can make some really good ice cream."

"Ugh, fine," I groan.

A fat Shih Tzu greets us at the door.

"Someone's here!" My grandpa announces, per usual.

"Who is it?" My grandma yells from her spot on the couch. Her usual.

"It's your favorite granddaughter grandma."

"Hey, it's Chloe. And she's brought a boy!" My grandpa points out the obvious.

"Grandma, grandpa, this is Adam."

"It's nice to meet you sir," Adam shakes my grandpa's hand. "I hear you make some really good ice cream."

"You do?" My grandpa asks in his voice he uses only when he pretends to be shocked. "Would you like some?"

"I would love some," Adam smiles.

"Strawberry or Vanilla?" My grandpa asks.

"You make strawberry and vanilla? I LOVE this guy!" Adam claims. "I have to try both."

"Chloe, Carole? Ice cream?"

"Vanilla," I say.

"Both," my grandma orders.

"Cone or bowl?"

"Cone," Adam and I say in unison.

"Bowl," my grandma chooses.

We all gather in the kitchen and eat our ice cream. My grandma takes it upon herself to get out her joke book and I slink in my chair. Adam finds it amusing how she has perverted old lady jokes. I've read the whole book more than once. Some are funny, but others make me embarrassed of my grandma.

We remind my grandparents of how we met. When they remembered, they asked when we got together. We told them that story, of how we went to Cedar Point for a week, and then how we had became official on the 4th of July. We even mentioned our other dates and how we've enjoyed each other's company so far.

Then, Adam asked about how my grandparents met. They told us the story of their first date, and getting married and having kids. We talked for hours, telling stories, and laughing about the dumb things we've seen or done.

It was after supper when we left. We went back to Ashland and drove around for awhile. We stopped at Family Video for some movies. We rented Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 and Ex Machina.

We went back to my place and watched Ex Machina and then fell asleep to Paul Blart. We really have a problem of falling asleep to movies. Oh well. As long as I have him to fall asleep with.