The rain pouring from the skies crystalized into icy teardrops. A dull, repetitive tapping sound filled the aircraft. He scowled. While their mission suits helped with extreme temperatures, he wasn't fancying fighting in them.

He went over the plan again.

They would land the jet, do a thermal scan over the area, and proceed with caution. The idea was to infiltrate Kismet's base stealthily and to sabotage the Asclepius machine before it was too late. He was sure the massive device was in the ravine, which made things significantly harder than anticipated. Sneaking into something like that without falling to one's death was no simple feat.

They would have to move fast. Smart. And, most importantly, silently. If they got caught before finding the machine, the mission would be immediately compromised. All their preparation, all the lives they lost over the past few days, would've been in vain.

Chase nodded curtly, his jaw taut.

We've got this.

A cluster of silver and black flashed out the corner of his eye. Sitting in the once empty seat beside him was Theo. His hands were shaking. His manic, copper-colored eyes were wider than a frightened deer's.

''You alright, Holland?''

He nodded, displaying a weak smile. ''Yep. Never better. Do I look nervous? I'm not nervous. Who said I was nervous? Are you nervous?'' He whipped his head around while biting his nails.

Chase wasn't sure if he should've laughed or comforted the guy. Considering the circumstances, he went with the latter. He placed a strong hand on his friend's shoulder, steadying him.

''We're going to be fine.''

''How do you know that?'' His lip trembled.

To be honest, he didn't. The chance of them dying was high. He just thought it was the right thing to say at the moment. He was wrong. Theo deserved to hear the truth.

''You're right,'' Chase said. ''I don't know. But what I do know is if we work hard, and as a team, we will make it through this. It's going to be hard, trust me. But we've gotta have faith.''

Faith was something his mother preached about often. She was a devout church-goer; always took her bible with her to the hospital during her day shifts. The woman could recite any verse asked of her. He admired that about her. He hoped he'd be able to call upon her willpower for the upcoming fight.

Beside him, Theo took a few deep breaths. ''Faith...faith. I can do that.'' He smiled. ''Thanks, dude. I really needed that.''

''That's what I'm here for.''

The two of them clasped hands.

The jet jumped, the wings shuddering against the thick air. Chase glanced out the window again. Still nothing. P.A.I's artificial voice rang out through the speakers, urging everyone to remain strapped to their seats.

''Uh, what is going on?'' Oscar asked. He was rubbing his arms, his palms glowing slightly as he activated his ability.

''Just a little bit of turbulence,'' Blackbird replied from the cockpit. ''Today wasn't the best of days to go flying.''

No kidding, Chase thought. According to their pilot, they were only about fifteen minutes outside of Adak Island. They were no doubt soaring over the frozen Alaskan waters. Winter hit this part of the world hard; coupled with the destructive amount of snow, sludge, and ice, the state was plunged into darkness for most of the year.

He couldn't fathom living there. Though, he had a feeling Emily would, though. If any state suited her, it would've been Alaska.

Chase gripped his armrest. It crushed underneath his grip. Oops. He had to get that under control. He was lucky Director Shaw didn't charge him for all the things he'd broken since getting his powers. Had he done that, the boy would've been in a lot of debt.