43. My mate

Derek was confused. He'd been waiting at Stiles' front door since school ended but Stiles never showed up.

He decided to call his mate-who-didn't-know-he-was-his-mate in hopes of finding out if he was alright.

"Hello? Derek? Why are you calling?"

"I'm just worried. Where are you? I've been standing at your door for hours. Seven to be exact."

"Oh my god Derek, I forgot to tell you! I'm on my way to Mexico now. And seven hours, really? Jeesh, you're unbalievable."

"It was nothing I- Wait, Mexico!? What about the Calavera hunter family!?"

"Zaj assured me it's been taken care of."

Zaj was a man of his word, that was something that had been proven to him multiple times in the past few months. As promised, the Alpha gave him a chance and Derek actually got to see the side of him reserved only for pack.

The sweet and caring figure who enjoyed cooking for his own little makeshift family. Who helped them out with even the most ridiculous little problems.
He had been wrong about Alpha Wilder the entire time, thinking that he was a dangerous sadistic asshole. Well, he's still dangerous. But not to them. And he can be a real asshole when he wants to be. Okay, Derek is rambling now.

"Oh, okay then. Make sure to call me once a day to make sure that you're fine."

"Yeah yeah, Sourwolf. I'll call, okay? I gotta hang up now, Zaj wants to take over the steering wheel again. Bye Derbear!"

And at that, their conversation ended. Derek's wolf whined and he almost did too, but managed to keep it in.

He got into his black Camaro and started the engine before driving back home to his loft.

When he entered, he was met with a daily sight. Erica and Isaac were fighting for the tv-remote while Boyd was calmly reading and Peter was recording the entire thing. You know, the usual stuff.

Peter stopped filming as soon as the guy saw him and tried to hide the camera befind his back, failing miserably.

Erica and Isaac apparently hadn't noticed his arrival since they were still cussing at each other like there was no tomorrow.

Boyd had noticed, and his gaze left his book for a few seconds to give a nod of his head as greeting, which Derek returned gladly.

He cleared his throat rather loudly, causing Erica and Isaac to freeze on the spot and look at him with an 'oh shit' expression seen on their faces.

"Oh. Hey Derek. Aren't you supposed to be protecting your mate? Aka Stiles Stilinski? The Batman to my Catwoman?"

"He's on his way to Mexico."

"With who? And why?"

"With Zaj and his pack. And I don't know why, Isaac."

Peter laughed, which made Derek really confused. Why would that damn psycho be laughing like a maniac?

"So, you're telling me, nephew, that you called him. He told you he was on his way to Mexico, and you didn't even think to ask why?
God, sometimes I even wonder if you really are related to me or Talia just lied to everyone."

Derek growled and grabbed his phone, deciding to text Stiles.

To Mate<3: Hey Sti I was thinking about smthing.

From Mate<3: about what? I'm curious Derbear:)

To Mate<3: why are you actually going to Mexico?

From Mate<3: I'm going to find the real Miguel ;)

From Mate<3: Just kidding we're going to Mexico to decide on a punishment we seem fit for Greenberg's actions together with the Alpha council.

To Mate<3: No offence but why do u guys need to be there? I thought the Alpha council decided for their own. Like, Kolakas should know what to do right? He's a Vamp himself.

From Mate<3: yeah I was wondering that too. But Zaj said that Kuolema requested our presence.

To Mate<3: Oh, what do you think they'll do?

From Mate<3: i dunno and I don't really care tbh

To Mate<3: Yeah. Well i gotta go before Isaac and Erica try to kill eachother

From Mate<3: Again? Peter better filmed it bc i wanna see. He promised to film it

To Mate<3: he filmed it, don't worry. Bye! Ttyl :)

He put away his phone and decided to break up the fight that had started once more.

"Stop fighting! Why can't you guys ever agree on something, not even on a stupid movie?"

"Isaac likes these stupid 'comedy' movies! They're not even funny! Movies with fights and killing, that's fun!"

"No it's not!"

"Yes it is!"

"Shut up! Both of you! Here, watch this."

He put on Deadpool and left the room, needing some much deserved rest. He went to his bedroom and fell asleep on his bed without even changing into his pajamas. Not that anyone cared.

The next mornign he woke up pretty late, around 11AM. He groaned as he stood up to shower. After he did that he changed into a new change of clothes and went to the living room. Peter was about to leave the loft.

"Where are you going?"

"Well, nephew, I'm either going to get ice cream or commit a felony. I'll decide on the way."

And Peter was gone. Derek really hoped Peter chose for the ice cream. He was not breaking his uncle out of jail. Not after last time.

He shuddered at the thought and made himself some crappy lunch existing out of burned eggs and bread that was getting a bit hard.

Yeah, he was a horrible cook. Not as bad as Erica though. She managed to set the kitchen on fire while cutting carrots. Twice! Since that day the kitchen was forbidden territory for Erica.

The Alpha decided to pay Deaton a visit, hoping that the vet could learn him some things about mates since his mom never told him that much about the subject.

"Hey Deaton! I kind of need your help. It has something to do with Stiles."

"You mean mates? Sure, I have some books that can come in really handy."

"Thank y- wait! How did you know?"

"I'm Alan Deaton. Duh."