Chapter 8: No Day but Today

Začít od začátku

I took a card. "These cards are blank," I stated. "Is this a joke?"

Kabuto snatched the card from me and then laid it down, putting his finger on it. Suddenly a map showed up. "It only activates with my chakra," he said matter-of-factly.

Most of the group "ooh"-ed and "aww"-ed appreciatively, but I wasn't all that impressed. This guy seemed like a big show-off with a big ego. I wasn't about to make his head any bigger.

"Big deal, so he can do magic tricks," I said, rolling my eyes. "If you've taken this exam a bunch of times, why haven't you passed? You that bad?"

Everyone grew quiet, and Sasuke glared at me for being rude.

"What? You knew you were all thinking it," Naruto agreed.

Kabuto smiled. "Huh, well. This exam...it's beyond what you can imagine. It's said that the inclusive Chuunin exam builds relationships between nations, promoting all viable shinobi to the next level, but..." His eyes got dark and I swear, all of us lost our breath, "it's really to balance out the power...to make sure no nations get too powerful."

"It's a way to spy on each other," Shikamaru said softly.

"So, do you have, like, information about people on those cards?" Kiba asked, eyeing the deck again.

"Yes. Who would you like to know about?" Kabuto asked calmly.

"Look up a boy from the Sand Village named Gaara," Sasuke said immediately. "He's someone to watch out for."

"So...Gaara of the Desert. He's had C and B ranks, wow, that's impressive as a Genin. But that's all it says. Oh...one more thing: he has returned from all missions uninjured."

"How is that possible?" Sasuke stated. "B rank missions unharmed?"

"Basically, we're chopped liver," Naruto said, throwing up his hands.

Kabuto smiled. "Maybe."

"SIKE!" Naruto shouted. "HEY, LISTEN UP, EVERYBODY!" Naruto jumped on a table before I could stop him.

Sasuke immediately hissed, "Naruto—get down—"

"I WON'T LOSE TO ANY OF YOU GUYS! MY NAME IS NARUTO—YOU HEARD? I'M THE NEXT HOKAGE OF KONOHAGURE! BELIEVE IT, B*TCHES!"

The whole room turned to look at him. I saw several evil smiles on their faces, like: yep, he's gonna be the first one to die.

"For God's sake, Naruto," I said, dragging him down by his pant legs. "We can't take you anywhere."