Chapter 1: Fell From My World

Start from the beginning

"Can you tell I got my eyebrows threaded yesterday?" Marissa told me, leaning in close so I could get a good look.

I literally sighed out loud, already 100% done with today.

Then we got to my other friend's house. "Ehmagod, Megan, your dress is mega foxy," gushed Becca when she saw me. "Ha ha, get it? Mega foxy? Your name is Megan!"

"Funniest thing I've heard all day," I replied sarcastically, but neither of them caught it.

"It's Chanel," Marissa eagerly replied for me.

"Of course," Becca said, tucking her long blonde hair behind her ears. Becca had bright blue eyes and a fair complexion, a perfect Barbie doll.

When I got to school, Tiffany Pearson was waiting by my locker. She was a popular eighth grade girl, long straight black hair and dimples. She's going to ask me to her party tonight. This life was too predictable.

"Hey, Meg," Tiffany said, shortening my name as if giving me some buddy-buddy nickname. Did she think we were there? This was one of the only times we've spoken.

"Oh, hi, Tiff," I said, not even gauging her reaction and opened my locker, starting to pull out books I'd need for the first half of the school day. I think the reason people at school thought I was so cool was that I acted so nonchalant, but the truth was, I really didn't care.

She briefly paused, startled at the greeting. Then she rushed on, "Anyway, I'm here to ask you to my party tonight. You can bring Becca, she's a babe...but not Marissa." She wrinkled her nose.

Marissa had just started dating Tiffany's ex-boyfriend two weeks ago, Bryan James. Guess Tiff was bitter. But I'm not going to play her game. If she thought I was going to leave out one of my best friends, then she had a big storm comin'.

"If Marissa isn't invited, I won't be there," I said, closing my locker firmly. "We come in a pack. You know, BFFs? Besties for life?" I had to refrain myself from rolling my eyes, but I had to speak her language.

The thing is, even though Marissa and Becca weren't exactly my soul sisters, if I was going to be loyal to someone in this dumb life, it was going to be them. In the first grade, when Tyra Pamela told me that my shoes were stinky and ugly, Becca told everyone that Tyra peed her bed every night to make me feel better. Two years ago, on a school field trip to St. Augustine, I ripped my shorts and Marissa had run to the nearest shop to buy me a new skirt to wear, totally breaking the rules. As naïve and shallow as they were, they were still my people.

I could tell Tiffany was thinking about it. If I was going, a lot of people would want to go. But she really hated Marissa for dating Bryan a month after they broke up. Tough call. I glanced at the clock, making it clear I wasn't about to wait all day.

"If it's an issue, it's totally fine," I assured her, starting to walk away. "I'm late for math."