Chapter 51

GET YOUR TISSUES BECAUSE I DEFINITELY UGLY CRIED AT SOME PARTS. 

Zayn's POV

"What the fuck do you mean Charlie? What happened to Charlie?" I stop the presentation altogether- no longer giving a shit when that smothering, suffocating feeling already begins to take over. What the fuck-

I hear a few whispers at my outburst, but that's irrelevant. I can deal with that later because I'm sure it's no secret that I'm a bit hotheaded...but just a bit, though. "I...I don't know exactly what happened," Gina clarifies, or so she thinks. "But I know that we need to go right now, right to the hospital."

"The hospital?" What's going on with my babe? What...oh God, I'm gonna be sick.

"Zayn...please. Not here. Let's go."

//

The jet back to the states is taking for-fucking-ever, but I'm not surprised given that I've been pacing and trying to figure all of this out the entire time. Though I should mention that I have nothing to go off of, thanks to Gina. She won't tell me shit, claiming that she doesn't want to tell me what she knows since she doesn't want to 'worry me anymore than necessary.'

...Well news-fucking-flash, there's no fucking way to reduce my fucking level of fucking anxiety when my fucking wife is in the fucking hospital.

Anyway.

I haven't felt this way since Marley's accident, resulting in both him and Charlie in bad shape. I didn't think I'd ever feel that way again, reach that level of down and out, and now that it's sort of happening and I'm once again left in the dark, I feel...broken. And I don't even know what's happened.

"Zayn, please sit down. Pacing is not going to do-"

"Shut up," I snap at Gina. "What the fuck do you expect me to do? Shit rainbows and ponies and believe that everything's going to be alright?"

She doesn't bat a lash. "Look, I know you're upset, but-"

"Oh, don't try that mumbo jumbo psych bullshit on me." Because it's not alright. I don't even know what it is, but I do know this pattern- the glum reality that nothing is ever alright when it comes to Charlie and I. There's always fucking something and it's so exhausting that I feel like giving up sometimes.

She turns in her chair to face me, eyeing me before speaking. "I'm only trying to help you stay calm until we get on American soil. I don't want you to completely lose your shit before we even land because it's only going to make things worse."

"Well I don't want your help. I want to see my wife."

*

We finally arrive to the hospital, and once news spread that Charlie was here, my phone's been going off nonstop, apparently. Everyone- and I mean everyone- has been trying to get in touch with me. I have no clue how they found out, but I highly suspect that Gina's responsible since I gave her my phone to hold on the jet so I wasn't bothered.

She did tell me each person trying to get through to me, but I responded to none of it. I'll call my sisters back later (probably Jawaad's doing) and my friends will just pop up, knowing them. And apparently Harry has my kids, so I'll definitely be getting back to him.

We walk up to reception in the waiting room. A young-ish girl with dark red hair looks up. "How can I help you?"

"Charlotte Dunn."

The receptionist raises her eyebrow at me. "And that would be..."

I blink at her. Don't curse her out because despite the situation, you've made quite a bit of progress, Zayn. Yeah, I just spoke to myself in third person. It helps sometimes, okay? "My fiance. She was rushed here," I speak to her, my voice hollow.