Chapter 26

Zayn's POV

"What the hell are you on about? I didn't get shit delivered to my house."

"Um...well, according to my records, the delivery was made four days ago. Do you have postal service?"

"Obviously," I snap. I know it's not her fault; she's only doing her job. "How the fuck else would I get my mail."

"Mr. Malik," she takes on a sharp tone now. "If you could not curse at me, that would be great. Because with all due respect, I'm not the one questioning paternity and in need of the results."

"Sorry," I mutter. "But I just..." I pinch the bridge of my nose and step off of the treadmill, conscious of the guys' eyes on me.

"Now. I think...there's obviously a problem. Is it possible that your wife checked the mail and got the results and didn't tell you?"

I rack my brain; I don't think so. Charlie would definitely, definitely let me know if the results came in, given the amount of shit we've been going through because of this whole mess.

"To be honest, she seemed rather...lackadaisical, when her and I were talking in the office. With getting the results back, I mean...almost as if time wasn't an issue."

Oh that wife. Fucking...I can't call her a name that I haven't already called her in my head.

"Mr. Malik?"

"Yeah. Okay...I'll figure it out. In the meantime, is there any way you can send me a duplicate?"

She hesitates. "I can, but..." She sighs. "It'll be a couple of more days, because there's quite the process we have to go through before we can just re-send confidential information."

Of fucking course. "Yeah that's fine."

"Well, then. We'll work on getting a second copy to you."

I thank her and end the call. And while I wait for the second set of results, I'm gonna figure out just what the fuck is going on here.

I think it's safe to say that I'm done with the gym for today. With the amount of pissed off that I am right now, I could probably run home at full speed. I gather my shit, ignoring the questioning stares being sent my way.

"Love bug, where are you going?" I ignore Harry's calls as I stomp (yes, stomp) to the front entrance of the gym.

"Wait, you're our ride!" Niall shouts, which actually causes me to stop. I guess it'd be a dick move to leave them all here.

I'm pretty sure they get ready to go in record time, since we're piled in the car less than five minutes later (and no, I don't think about all the sweat that's now all over my leather seats).

I speed down at the main drag, my mind racing and my phone burning a hole in my pocket. I want to call Charlie and ask her if she's seen the results and I wanna call Genevieve and see if maybe there's a chance she knows what the fuck happened. I don't wanna jump to conclusions and blame her, but I need to at least ask her about it, regardless of how defensive I know she'll get.

"Shit, if you go any slower, that granny over there'll pass us up," Niall snickers, but one glare from me has him shutting his mouth.

"What the hell happened, Zaynie?" Harry asks from next to me. "You were fine two seconds ago. What did the lab person say?"

I'm about to answer, but my phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I pull it out without even looking at it, because whoever the hell it is, I want to talk to them-it's only one of three people anyway- Charlie, Lou or Genevieve, considering anyone else who would call me is currently in the car, so.