Chapter 20

Zayn's POV

"Where are we going?" Genevieve asks, but I don't answer her. I can't; I can't seem to get Charlie's distraught voice out of my head as I weave through Manhattan traffic towards the Upper West Side. "Nothing can be as important as your and Adrian's afternoon together."

Will you just shut the fuck up.

"Hello, I'm talking to you," she huffs. and I see her turning to face me. "See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't even give me the time of day."

It amazes me how she can flip her personality around, I think to myself as I feel a hand on my knee. "What the fuck, Genevieve?"

It slowly begins to creep up my thigh and I spazz, trying to shake her off without wrecking in the process. "I wish you would answer me," she sighs. "I bet if my name was-"

"Will you quit it," I grit, glancing at her briefly before flicking my eyes to Adrian. I really feel sorry for this kid-mainly because he has to deal with her on a regular basis. "I don't understand what part of I'm getting married you don't understand. I don't want to be with you; I'm never going to be with you. I. Love. Charlie." Christ.

She removes her hand and crosses her arms over her chest. "Will you just kiss me? We can get it out of our systems," she pleas. "There's tension, whether you admit it or not-whether you love her or not. I could feel it from the moment I walked into your office the first day. Plus, I know you want to see what it's like before you settle down."

As if I haven't kissed plenty of girls. I don't know how else to make myself any more clear. "I'm dropping you off home."

"What? Why?" she asks. Are you kidding me? It's like there's some kind of wall up.

"Because Charlie needs me." I make sure to look at her long enough so she knows that I'm gonna choose Charlie over her- always.

"And what about Adrian?"

"I'll figure something out. But this...I have to get to her."

"Oh bullshit."

"I'm not gonna fucking argue with you about this anymore. I said I'd figure something out. I don't know when, but I will." To be honest, this has taken a backseat for now because I'm almost sure I know what's going on with Charlie and the timing couldn't be an shittier.

"Oh please. You don't care about him!" she shouts, moving closer to me. "You think you're gonna see him when it's convenient for you? You don't see your other kids when it's convenient for you, do you?"

"Oh will you fuck off!" I scream back at her. "I live with them, for fuck's sake!" I swear I haven't been this mad in a long time. But it's like she knows every button to push and just how much to push them. And it almost always ends up with me saying something that I shouldn't have said and consequently feeling bad about it. "If you think about it, you're the fucking idiot that kept him from me. If he's mine, how come you waited so long? Huh? Why wait until he's two years old? What kind of sense does that make?"

"Oh, so you're doubting him again, right? Naturally. You just don't want another responsibility. And you don't want to admit that you're wrong. Why don't you stop being so obsessed with her, and put your kids first."

"And why don't you keep your nose out of my fucking relationship, yeah? A relationship that is apparently of so much interest to you, though you'll never be anything more than one of my children's mothers to me," I scoff. "You can't get it through your-"

"My cookie done." I stop mid sentence at the sound of the small voice. Looking in the rearview mirror, I see Adrian staring into his lap. He eventually meets my gaze-pouting, and I notice he's got specs of chocolate on his little cheeks and crumbs all over his lap and in the booster seat.