Chapter 23

Charlie's POV

There's hesitancy, then- "Oh, ah. Well, I'm calling from DNA Diagnostics Center."

What? What?

When I don't respond, the polite woman continues on. "Unfortunately, I can't release any information, but you can tell him that we called."

I know it's so wrong, but I need to keep her on the phone. You know, because I now know that I'm not gonna get shit out of Zayn. "Well, I was actually there with him," I blurt as a last resort. It's a long shot, and I'm praying to everything that it works (though part of me hopes that it doesn't. Cause you know, I'd have a pretty good idea as to who he was with.) But I'm sure she'll be able to see straight through m-

"Oh, right! You were the young lady who was there that day, correct? I'm so sorry, I can't believe I forgot. You did mention to me that you were his wife while I was taking your information."

My eyes shut.

"Ma'am?"

"Yeah, sorry," I muster, weakly. And I know I shouldn't but I'm doing it anyway. I don't give a shit anymore. I swallow. "Yeah, that was me."

"Let me see? Genevieve Malik, correct? Well, Sello. I think you said something about not having a chance to change your documentation over yet, so you're still using your maiden name."

I feel my eyes becoming cloudy. That fucking bitch. I knew it; I didn't want to believe it, but something told me she was there. She has a knack for being places where she's not wanted or needed. I try to control my temper before I explode, and I really don't wanna do it now because this woman didn't do anything to -

"Ma'am? Is...are you okay?"

"Yes, fine," I snip, then try to reorient myself so I can pull this off. Fuck if she can pretend to be me, then I can pretend to be her. "I'm just a little tired, I apologize."

"Well, I can imagine. I think you mentioned having three little ones at home, so I bet you're one busy bee."

I'm shaking and my blood's boiling and if I had something close to me to throw that would actually cause some damage, I would. Oh God, you wait until I see the two of them. You fucking wait.

"Mhm..." I press my lips together. If I try to make any more noise than that, it'll result in a God awful scream.

"Well, anyway. I still can't reveal the results over the phone because of confidentiality-with this particular company, anyhow, but you can let your husband know that the paternity results have come back. We've just got to do a couple of things on our end, and then we'll mail them off to him. Sound okay?"

"Paternity?" I whisper.

"Yes...correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the test that he had performed...that you signed consent for? Well, you both signed, it looks like."

"Mm hm." I bite back the tears. I need to get off of the phone. I need...I. "Well, th-thank you. I'll deliver the message."

"Oh, of course. Thank you. And good luck to you. If either of you have any questions, don't hesitate to call us."

I can feel my heart breaking the longer I stay on the line. "Absolutely," I choke out before ending the call.

How could he...she. I don't even know who I'm more pissed off at. That bitch for pretending to be me or Zayn for having a paternity test on-

And because he has impeccable timing, I hear the door shut. It's almost humorous, and if I wasn't so hurt and angry, I'd probably laugh. Why is it that whenever I'm happy, something or someone always ruins it? Why...just why?